This joist hanger does not look right.....

ProDave

Not a serious question, more a bit of "how the others do it" light hearted discussion.

I saw this on my job today:

20190621_120249.thumb.jpg.68fb0b340c4ba4802f7400bae04e145d.jpg

It is a house being renovated.  They have turned the stairs around and in doing so had to create a new bit of return landing.  There are 3 new joists supported like this.

So they have found the mortar joint in the brick wall and slotted the joist hanger in there after raking out the mortar.  That put the hanger a bit too low, hence the packers under the joist. That will be "fun" when plasterboarding the ceiling

But what struck me is no fixings.  I would be worried there is nothing to stop that hanger just walking it's way out of the wall.  There is nothing to fix it in place, and there are not any holes in the hanger anyway for any fixings.

I can't help thinking I would want to drill some holes and screw it to the joist so it stayed in place, and proably some holes and screws into the wall so it could not just walk out.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

But with no holes in the hanger, just what is the correct way of making sure it stays where you put it?

Is it the correct type of hanger for that situation?.  

Looks like there is an indent where hole should be. Are you sure it doesn't have some sort of flange where joist butts upto it to stop it coming out. It's a bodge but in reality there loads of that goes on up and down the country. See it all the time when stripping stuff back

1 hour ago, Temp said:

What would the correct situation be for that type of hanger?

I have no idea. I have only used joist hangers to hang joists onto wood.  If I were doing this I would have asked here what hanger to use and how.