How do you secure a shower screen to a wetroom floor ...

... without ruining the waterproof seal below the tiles? Look at this:

wetroomplanCropped.thumb.jpg.b1ca0d0269a55ac9049df4968baf4115.jpg

At the moment I plan to suspend the screen from the ceiling - and until I bothered to think about it, intended to fix it to the floor.

But then I looked at the issue in detail, I realised that in fixing it to the floor, I would puncture the waterproof seal.

Someone has  solved this problem before - many by what I now see as dubious means - make slots in the tiles; screw to the floor, and so on.

Do I need to re-think the position of the shower ( and therefore shower screen) ?

Probably one for our resident wet room expert.  Are you there @Nickfromwales?

When I fitted our wide shower screen, I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the shower tray to secure the small bracket on the outer lower edge of the screen, so I just used a bead of clear CT1 along the outer edge of the glass at the bottom, where it meets the tray.  I'm surprised at how rock solid this is, it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, and has withstood the odd knock and the edge of the glass being used as a hand hold.

I have done this. Believe Nick gave me the method.

Two ways:

1) Screen on tile (wet room) , used 8mm alu U channel and bonded base  to tiles with Sikaflex and then more Sikaflex in the channel to take the glass. No fixings on the horizontal run (but some on the vertical)

2) Screen on shower tray (non wet room) no alu channel on the bottom - balanced glass on 2mm spacers and sikaflexed along the 2mm gap between tray and glass. When it had gone off, poked out spacers and filled gaps with sikaflex

Edited by Bitpipe
Conflated two shower screen installs!

You can buy U channel. Recently had a shower tray out of level which a frameless enclosure needed to go on. 6mm gap to nothing with a hung door on the 6mm end pushing it in. Bought some U channel, siliconed it to tray, slid glass in, rock solid

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

1) Screen on tile (wet room) , used 8mm alu U channel and bonded base  to tiles with Sikaflex and then more Sikaflex in the channel to take the glass. No fixings on the horizontal run

Need shares in Sikaflex then.... 

3 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

It was quite some time before I realised that was not @Construction Channel, even though CC would obviously never fall through a hole in  his own floor.

The wide eyed “Qui? Moi?” expression looked similar to CC’s cheerfully ingenuous “You too can do this complicated impossible thing” wide-eyed look.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1