Newly qualified brickie

Joe Rosato

Hi all !! Iv just passed my level 2 in brickwork and and have been working on a construction project involving 6 inch concrete blocks used for the internal walls !! My question is do the internals need to be built as good as face walls.? Are the tolerances the same.? And any tips on tbe handling and laying of these blocks as there so ruddy heavy. ?? Cheers in advance !! 

Edited by Joe Rosato
Didnt say hi

22 minutes ago, Joe Rosato said:

Iv just passed my level 2 in brickwork

How many weeks of tuition did you receive to get to level-2?

24 minutes ago, Joe Rosato said:

My question is do the internals need to be built as good as face walls.? Are the tolerances the same.?

I read through a masonry wall tolerances document because I am building a brick and block house. Most of the stated tolerances relate to creating a straight, true and structurally sound finished wall and I would not want internal walls that did not meet those criteria. Imagine fitting a prebuilt stairs to an internal wall with a 20mm bow over 4 meters.

29 minutes ago, Joe Rosato said:

And any tips on tbe handling and laying of these blocks as there so ruddy heavy. ??

Rubber brickie gloves enhance the grip power of your fingers.

The mortar needs to be stiffer than normal otherwise the blocks collapse through a 10mm mortar bed after a few leveling taps.

How heavy are these blocks? I ask because I thought health & safety standards have imposed a 20kg weight limit per block.

You only use 6 X 9 inch block for pig houses. Can you not use soapbars instead like these

https://stowellconcrete.co.uk/concrete-soap-bar-blocks/

All the walls you build should be plumb no matter where they are. Your only make more work for every one else who follows you and then you will get a bad name for untidy work.

Your arms will get used to the lifting and your skin will soon toughen up. 

The motar should be the same as an ordinary block. Nice and creamy so you can tap the block down but not soft enough that it sinks. 

• Like 1

I did a year at college to pass level 2 as i had a bit of previous experience ,!! The walls are plumb and level but 8f the odd one is a fraction high or low is it such a big problem for the plasterer.? Im literarlly talking mms within tolerance 

7 hours ago, Joe Rosato said:

I did a year at college to pass level 2 as i had a bit of previous experience ,!! The walls are plumb and level but 8f the odd one is a fraction high or low is it such a big problem for the plasterer.? Im literarlly talking mms within tolerance 

so not an apprenticeship then? they are now between 2-4yrs. surely the lecturers would have been giving you the tolerances required which will be far tighter than on site

just looked online and surprised at the tolerance for level 2. https://www.cityandguilds.com/-/media/productdocuments/construction/trades/6705/6705_level_2/assessment_materials/6705-23_practical_task_manual-pdf.ashx

17 hours ago, Joe Rosato said:

the odd one is a fraction high or low is it such a big problem for the plasterer.? Im literarlly talking mms within tolerance

Are you talking up & down on the line? If it ranges through plumb within tolerance then that’s all the plasterer needs. 

10 hours ago, Brickie said:

Then sit back & relax with a spritz & some stuffed peppers. 

You do know that’s how us brickies spend our Saturday nights,right?

And there was me thinking it was causing bar fights, moaning about scaffolders and scratching your over-exposed hairy asres.

I've got it so wrong...... :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

And there was me thinking it was causing bar fights, moaning about scaffolders and scratching your over-exposed hairy asres.

I've got it so wrong...... :D 

You are getting mixed up with plumbers. ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Brickie said:

Then sit back & relax with a spritz & some stuffed peppers. 

You do know that’s how us brickies spend our Saturday nights,right?

In the 80s it was not unusual for itinerant skilled workers to get paid on Friday, go into town Saturday and buy a new suit, get pissed up, have a fight in a nightclub and wear the same suit to the building site on the Monday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

to the building site on the Monday

Except they were in the Monday Club.

The Monday Club was for the builders that got so drunk on the weekend they were not capable of turning up on Mondays.  So they met in the pub Monday lunchtime.

Or maybe that was just High Wycombe builders.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

In the 80s it was not unusual for itinerant skilled workers to get paid on Friday, go into town Saturday and buy a new suit, get pissed up, have a fight in a nightclub and wear the same suit to the building site on the Monday.

I had a good mate who was a chippy that had a slight variation on that theme: got paid on Friday, went to Woolworths (this was the  late 80's, early 90's) and bought a new duvet set, then to Top Man for new pants. Went home to his pokey little flat and changed bedding and wore new pants. Went into to town hoping to score a lady in the full knowledge that he could take her home to a clean bed and tidy under crackers.

Poor chap never scored once! ? 

Edited by Barney12
typo

34 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I had a good mate who was a chippy that had a slight variation on that theme: got paid on Friday, went to Woolworths (this was the  late 80's, early 90's) and bought a new duvet set, then to Top Man for new pants. Went home to his pokey little flat and changed bedding and wore new pants. Went into to town hoping to score a lady in the full knowledge that he could take her home to a clean bed and tidy under crackers.

Poor chap never scored once! ? 

But what a collection of pants he must have.....