rough idea of cost/ estimates

Willow2220

Hello all, I am still very new to the site (have only posted once before) and am just trying to pull together estimated costs of a new build to see if our pipe dream will only stay a pipe dream or perhaps not.  Any help re your cost experiences would be gratefully received. 

In theory, we would be looking to build on a rural spot, a home for life but not going too crazy on eco stuff, just solar panels, good windows and insulation.  Medium spec for house, as reasonable quality but functional is good with us. Would plan to go with a turnkey package re the actual build to hopefully limit stress. Hoping for a 210 m sq house. 

Am I missing anything in particular ?

(I am ignoring, at this point, the difficulty in finding suitable land and purchasing ?).  Many thanks for your help.

Planning application including architects plans and planning consultant          - 7,000

Surveys (soil ? is this the same as topographical? eco, highways, trees)          -  6,000

Structural warranty and site insurance                                                                    -  4,000

Getting services to plot (elec, water, phone)                                                          -  10,000

Purchasing mobile home and transport to plot (live on site)                              -  10,000

Storage (container) for current household stuff                                                    -  2,000

Total 39,000

Contingency   (approx. 10%)                                                                                    - 50,000

Then turnkey option, probably timber frame company (between 2,000 to 2500 per sq m)

Most of those are reasonable figures.  Planning can be a lot less if you do it yourself. Do you NEED soil samples etc? I didn't.

Services can be anywhere from £100 upwards, you won't know that until you find the site. Phone is usually free.

Mobile home, we bought a good one for £4500 and as it came from a dealer that included delivery.  If you budget is tight then you can get a (probably) watertight old one for £1000  An old cheap second static caravan might be a better bet as a site office / storage than a container.

18 minutes ago, Willow2220 said:

Planning application including architects plans and planning consultant          - 7,000

For planning for a single house on a straight forward non contentious plot, i think that a decent architect would be able to do the planning app, and you won't need a planning consultant.

Planning application fee for a house is circa £500, leaving you £6,500 for the architect.

To be honest you will pay for what you get, and depending on what you want you could go for a architectural technologist, or a expensive architect, but for £6,500 for i would be aiming for architectural fees for planning and building regs drawings.

That said if its its a turn key timber frame company for they do the building regs drawings? 

Edited by Moonshine

It really depends on your site. Topography survey is not a soil survey it is a survey of the land ( the bit you can see ) it will cover heights from sea level, of all things on site, man holes, old sheds old buildings, trees. 

A soil survey is the bit you cannot see, the bit you stand on, how will you stop the building sink or rise. 

As I said it is very site dependent 

if you find a nice virgin site on the edge of a village then your costs would be lower than if you find an ex plutonium factory. 

A lot of your costs there are very top end, so if you are happy with those figures then that will be a nice bonus

one thing you didn’t list was TIME, looking at your list I would presume you are looking at plots with no planning in place. So add on two years from finding to building. 

Hello,

i see a few things here . You mention PV panels for your house. Unless you got some pay-in tariff ,there are plenty of way more useful things you can spend your money on.

As others mention before , planning can possibly be a lot cheaper :

Planning application including architects plans and planning consultant          - 7,000          -You only really NEED a fee of approx. 500GBP. Nothing says you need an architect or planning

consultant

That's great, many thanks for your replies.  We are hoping to stay in the south east, so I am expecting the planning process to be challenging :-)  Also, am trying to estimate on the high side to limit situations where we might get caught out ........ no doubt there will be some anyway.

Patrick, I would be interested to know what other things you would recommend thinking about re eco stuff, and I shall research further? Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Willow2220 said:

Patrick, I would be interested to know what other things you would recommend thinking about re eco stuff, and I shall research further? Thanks again.

Common saying is that always invest into material first before going into technical solutions. So get the Insulation and the airtightness right before you invest into fancy PV panels.

Invest into top insulated windows, doors and insulates floors/walls/roof.

If price sensitiv, keep the xlarge windows/glass fronts to a minimum. Next is a good/economic mvhr. This might also take on your heating if you like, some do, some don't (it's essentially warm air heating)

If you think about heating, Ground Source heat pumps are fairly expensive and take a long time to pay themselves back. Air source heat pump is much better economically. If you already have Gas at the property, might even be worth considering gas boilers. If not, you have to see what gas installation costs are.

Any photovoltaic system will take around 25-30years to be worth the investment. Unless there is a pay in tariff coming back OR you do a full on DIY system and materials can be bought for cheap. 

On 20/06/2019 at 16:52, Willow2220 said:

Hello all, I am still very new to the site (have only posted once before) and am just trying to pull together estimated costs of a new build to see if our pipe dream will only stay a pipe dream or perhaps not.  Any help re your cost experiences would be gratefully received. 

In theory, we would be looking to build on a rural spot, a home for life but not going too crazy on eco stuff, just solar panels, good windows and insulation.  Medium spec for house, as reasonable quality but functional is good with us. Would plan to go with a turnkey package re the actual build to hopefully limit stress. Hoping for a 210 m sq house. 

(I am ignoring, at this point, the difficulty in finding suitable land and purchasing ?).  Many thanks for your help.

Surveys (soil ? is this the same as topographical? eco, highways, trees)          -  6,000

Structural warranty and site insurance                                                                    -  4,000

Getting services to plot (elec, water, phone)                                                          -  10,000

Purchasing mobile home and transport to plot (live on site)                              -  10,000

Storage (container) for current household stuff                                                    -  2,000

Total 39,000

Contingency   (approx. 10%)                                                                                    - 50,000

Then turnkey option, probably timber frame company (between 2,000 to 2500 per sq m)

what about digging the founds etc and concrete slab for when the timber frame turns up? out of interest what is the turnkey timber frame  costing you per m2?

• 2 weeks later...

The timber frame ‘turn key’ package includes groundworks, and estimate price is up to £2,500 per m sq.

To add to my list I have realised I will prob need to include initial access groundwork’s and base/ pad for mobile home to sit on before ‘turn key’ build starts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2019 at 16:52, Willow2220 said:

Total 39,000

why do you need an architect if your using a timber frame company get them to do that in house?

On 10/07/2019 at 14:52, Willow2220 said:

The timber frame ‘turn key’ package includes groundworks, and estimate price is up to £2,500 per m sq.

To add to my list I have realised I will prob need to include initial access groundwork’s and base/ pad for mobile home to sit on before ‘turn key’ build starts.

what timber frame company are you using?