Best £35 spent so far.

The other week a 13 ton digger was working close by and was idle waiting for others to catch up.

Seeing an opportunity to avoid manually barrowing 5+ tons of hardcore from the drive into the garage foundations for the slab I agreed a price with the driver and stood back. The beast trundled over shaking the ground and then effortlessly munched through the pile of hardcore in 20 minutes, the pile to garage distance was within a single swing of the digger arm which helped. The driver then took another 10 minutes to spread it out within the footings.

Good days like that a few and far between.

• Like 4

I was just talking to our neighbour about one of those "good days" we had when building ours.

The cladding turned up on the back of a flatbed, with no crane or forklift to unload. This was despite me telling the supplier verbally and by email that we were a domestic build with no unloading plant onsite.

While we scratched our heads considering what our options were, another delivery guy turned up with something else. I can't remember what he was delivering, but he had one of those portable forklifts that sits on the back of the truck. For the price of a cup of tea and some cake, he was happy to unload the cladding for us. 

I don't recall ever seeing one of those forklifts again throughout the whole build!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jack said:

I was just talking to our neighbour about one of those "good days" we had when building ours.

The cladding turned up on the back of a flatbed, with no crane or forklift to unload. This was despite me telling the supplier verbally and by email that we were a domestic build with no unloading plant onsite.

While we scratched our heads considering what our options were, another delivery guy turned up with something else. I can't remember what he was delivering, but he had one of those portable forklifts that sits on the back of the truck. For the price of a cup of tea and some cake, he was happy to unload the cladding for us. 

I don't recall ever seeing one of those forklifts again throughout the whole build!

Moffett truck. Fortunately my plasterboard delivery guy (CCF) had one of those and he unloaded the whole lot and brought it to my front door. Saved a huge amount of carrying.

If you have a large delivery it is worth asking the supplier if they have any vehicles with one.

https://www.hiab.com/en/moffett/

• Like 1

In a previous house, we built an extension and moved the front door to the extension. the old front door got bricked up and a window put in.

That left a large, 6" or more thick, cast in place door step to remove.

Whilst pondering how to break it up, one day some guys turned up outside to dig a hole in the road, complete with a pnenumatic road breaker.  A quiet word with them and a £20 note, and 10 minutes later my step was reduced to a pile of manageable lumps of concrete to dispose of.

The next door neighbour came storming out to find out why her house was vibrating.

• Like 2