Hormann Thermo65 door threshold problem

mvincentd

These doors do not come with a door drip bar to deflect water running down the door to over the door sill.  No brochure pictures show the door with a drip bar in place, the drip bar is only listed under 'custom equipment' and even there it is not pictured.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone with such a door and to know if it suffers 'leakage' at the threshold.

While my supplier/installer prepares to make his 5th visit to try and finally achieve a satisfactory performance I feel pessimistic that they will without resorting to a drip bar....leaving me with an aesthetic I didn't choose.

Indeed and thats part of the problem....they're promoting and selling the doors with one appearance but once installed with drip bar it takes on another appearance...which they seemingly can't even give me a picture of.

I'm interested to uncover how frequently they might be (effectively) forcing this unexpected 'custom equipment' on people.

Has anyone got a door of any kind that doesn't have a drip bar of some sort at the bottom....ie the external door face is entirely flat? Does it keep rain out?

5 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Has anyone got a door of any kind that doesn't have a drip bar of some sort at the bottom....ie the external door face is entirely flat? Does it keep rain out?

Yes I have an Internorm PH door that is flat faced and keeps the rain out.

I would not expect the drip bar to solve the problems.

When it is blowing a hoolie and the rain is lashing against my Rationel door, the rain dripping off the drip bar just gets blown straight into the gap as if the drip bar were not present. 

It is 100% reliant on the seals, and they are not perfect.

For an exposed door like this I would in future choose an outward opening door, but that comes with a different problem, hang on tight to it when you open it!!!!

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I would not expect the drip bar to solve the problems.

When it is blowing a hoolie and the rain is lashing against my Rationel door, the rain dripping off the drip bar just gets blown straight into the gap as if the drip bar were not present. 

It is 100% reliant on the seals, and they are not perfect.

For an exposed door like this I would in future choose an outward opening door, but that comes with a different problem, hang on tight to it when you open it!!!!

Thats why I built a porch, keeps the weather off the front door, gives an airlock effect and somewhere to dump your wet shoes.

44 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Indeed and thats part of the problem....they're promoting and selling the doors with one appearance but once installed with drip bar it takes on another appearance...which they seemingly can't even give me a picture of.

I'm interested to uncover how frequently they might be (effectively) forcing this unexpected 'custom equipment' on people.

I have an Internorm flat door and no problem with rain.

I do appear to have a resolution with the fitment of a different style of sill.  For anyone getting a Hormann Thermo65 i'd suggest raising the sill choice question with your supplier and hope they're experienced enough to advise well.

Hormann approve the S11 and S12 sills for this door.

The S12 was fastidiously refitted numerous times but plain failed to provide adequate sealing to keep rain out.

The S11 appears to have worked.

My fitters (acknowledged by Hormann to be amongst the most experienced in the uk with their products) actually said "if the S11 resolves the excessive water issue this will undoubtedly highlight a problem with the S12 to Hörmann!"

Hopefully Hormann will modify their compatibility charts etc..meanwhile i'd advise not to buy this door with a S12.

• Like 1