6 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm interested, is the new house soundproof (& vibration proof?) enough that your mowing ths lawn won't wake them up?

The mower had other ideas. 1/4 of the way through the blade snapped in half.  The post mortem reveals it has been cracked for some time (it has encountered a few obstructions / stones etc many times) Awaiting a new blade to continue.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm ! Funny how much bigger it is when it arrives ! . No idea how to get this through a loft hatch and positioned so that filters etc can be altered . The roof trusses get in the way completely- snookered !!

A926EF0D-04B1-4A12-881D-3942899FA937.jpeg

Right !

Spoke to vent axia .

They said unclean filters can increase noise ( guess the fan works harder ) ; so if filter access is easy more likely to clean filters . A ‘sound proof’ cupboard wasn’t an unreasonable suggestion apparently.

We have our main bedroom and a secondary bedroom ( primarily for me when I apparently snore ) . Anyone guess which room the units going in !!!

Ours is in a cupboard in our pantry. You can't hear it unless it's on boost (which is rare - we tend to leave it on the background setting).

I don't know how loud the Vent-Axia is though.

• Thanks 1

I also asked without installing the unit ; just stuck a plug on it and listened .

Said it would be a good test as the unit will be noisier than usual due to factory defaults and air movement. Will try that next week ! 

Ours (Kingspan / Mitsubishi) is in the plant room next to our bedroom, with just a door (FD30) between the plant room and the bedroom.

Even with the door open, you cannot hear the mvhr at normal speed, and when you put it on boost, for a shower, more noise comes from the ceiling vent than directly from the mvhr unit.

I wired a house a few years back where they wedged an mvhr in the loft, it was really tight access, and they created 2 loft hatches so you could crawl in from both ends to change the 2 filters, but I have a suspicion it was going to be such an awkward miserable job that it might not get done as often as would be desirable.

• Thanks 1

Vents are better on the roof plane rather than the ridge. Ridge vents are more for exhaust from gas and soil stacks where you want to create a negative pressure to draw the air from the vent. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ours (Kingspan / Mitsubishi) is in the plant room next to our bedroom, with just a door (FD30) between the plant room and the bedroom.

Even with the door open, you cannot hear the mvhr at normal speed, and when you put it on boost, for a shower, more noise comes from the ceiling vent than directly from the mvhr unit.

I wired a house a few years back where they wedged an mvhr in the loft, it was really tight access, and they created 2 loft hatches so you could crawl in from both ends to change the 2 filters, but I have a suspicion it was going to be such an awkward miserable job that it might not get done as often as would be desirable.

Yeah - bad access will plague my unit if loft space positioned . I was trying to do 1 loft hatch for mvhr and header tank . Just not do able in any sensible way . Bedroom it is ! . Makes the install 10 times simpler !

This does make me wonder: do any units have filter access from below? Positioning it with its own loft access hatch directly underneath it would be pretty convenient in our install: just stand on steps, open a ceiling hatch and reach up to access the filters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Vents are better on the roof plane rather than the ridge. Ridge vents are more for exhaust from gas and soil stacks where you want to create a negative pressure to draw the air from the vent. 

Problem is I don’t want to scupper where PV panels will go at a later date .

19 minutes ago, joth said:

This does make me wonder: do any units have filter access from below? Positioning it with its own loft access hatch directly underneath it would be pretty convenient in our install: just stand on steps, open a ceiling hatch and reach up to access the filters.

Hey @joth that would just be too easy !

My unit is about 35cm deep ; so you need at least 70cm to get the filters out . Pita in the limited loft space ( if possible at all ) . Dream in a bedroom for access !

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Roof has 2 sides ...???

Yeah . But it makes sense for me to put half the panels on either side . Vent placement probably not going to effect PV position - just trying not to shoot myself in the foot later . Will put a photo up later of where I intend vents to go 

Edited by pocster

@PeterW

So!, green crosses approx location of roof vents (1.5m or slightly more apart)

Red box MVHR unit mounted internally on wall.

This seem good?

Distance from in/out vents to MVHR will be short.

I was thinking (oh no!) before I wall mount it if I should say do OSB , then thick rubber ( to reduce noise) then unit onto that.

IMG_9807.jpg

• 3 weeks later...