25 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

glad i read this, i have seen enthalpy mentioned but not researched it. i think for the additional cost (£200) i'll have it fitted.

I’m still not sure even what this is and the benefits....

3 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

takes the moisture out of the stale air and puts it back into the house rather than down the drain.

https://www.zehnder.co.uk/products-and-systems/comfortable-indoor-ventilation/enthalpy

Now I’m confused !

I thought mvhr took the stale air and moisture out - used the heat for incoming . Why cycle the moisture back into the house ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Now I’m confused !

I thought mvhr took the stale air and moisture out - used the heat for incoming . Why cycle the moisture back into the house ?

keeps the air from drying out. your house will have a humidity, which will vary between rooms, a dry room will be unpleasant.

Just now, Simplysimon said:

keeps the air from drying out. your house will have a humidity, which will vary between rooms, a dry room will be unpleasant.

Ok , why don’t the mvhr companies push this ??? . Just wondering as they don’t seem to mention it ....

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

Now I’m confused !

You don't want things getting too dry.

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok , why don’t the mvhr companies push this ??? . Just wondering as they don’t seem to mention it ....

Because they are difficult to explain and expensive to produce ..! They are also a little more fragile than standard heat exchangers. 

• Like 1

When cold outside, the relative humidity (UK) is quite high, but when heated in the heat exchanger it drops. In the meantime the stale, warm and wet air on the house is cooled and so gets to saturation, hence condensation and water drains out. The enthalpy part will remove the moisture from extract and add to supply.

Is it really needed? We don't have this, the relative humidity inside is between 40 to 50% and quite comfortable. Perhaps people with some skin conditions might benefit from higher humidity? Not sure.

• Thanks 1

The RH inside my house would often drop into the mid twenties, it caused cracked lips and nosebleeds amongst other things.  It made very uncomfortable living at that level of dryness. My optimum RH for my health is a few percent either side of 50.  We rarely got above mid 40’s even in wet weather and mid 30’s was the norm.

We are a 200sqm single storey with just two occupants (one of whom out all day) plus woofer.  One bath, one shower, not a lot lot of ‘wet’ cooking (although at one stage I was boiling pans of water to try and get humidity up and I bought a humidifier too which was a chinese rubbish job).   The level of activity in the house did not create much moisture and that may have contributed to our very dry atmosphere plus our exposed windy location.

Retrofitting the enthalpy unit - even though expensive- has changed the house totally.  We now sit at about 50% RH on average and the house is much more comfortable.  

Best retro money I have spent only wish I had specced it at the start but I was told I wouldn't need it when I asked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lizzie said:

The RH inside my house would often drop into the mid twenties, it caused cracked lips and nosebleeds amongst other things.  It made very uncomfortable living at that level of dryness. My optimum RH for my health is a few percent either side of 50.  We rarely got above mid 40’s even in wet weather and mid 30’s was the norm.

We are a 200sqm single storey with just two occupants (one of whom out all day) plus woofer.  One bath, one shower, not a lot lot of ‘wet’ cooking (although at one stage I was boiling pans of water to try and get humidity up and I bought a humidifier too which was a chinese rubbish job).   The level of activity in the house did not create much moisture and that may have contributed to our very dry atmosphere plus our exposed windy location.

Retrofitting the enthalpy unit - even though expensive- has changed the house totally.  We now sit at about 50% RH on average and the house is much more comfortable.  

Best retro money I have spent only wish I had specced it at the start but I was told I wouldn't need it when I asked.

I wonder what it was about the house that made it so dry?

We are 150 square metres, 3 humans and one feline. Plain ordinary house no special measures and RH sits between 50 and 60% most if the time.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We are 150 square metres, 3 humans and one feline. Plain ordinary house no special measures and RH sits between 50 and 60% most if the time.

No idea its just usual MBC house but we are high on a ridgeway so quite exposed that may be partly responsible.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Living near the sea or in an enclosed site with water nearby usually means higher humidity. So being inland on an open site presumably means lower humidity.

On 28/06/2019 at 12:45, lizzie said:

do you know how would I go about linking one as a retrofit....is it even possible?

Relatively easy to make one with a cheap sensor (DHT22), a cheap board (RaspberryPi Zero or similar) and a solid state switch.

With that kit you can also easily expand and add extra sensors i.e air pressure, light sensing, energy monitoring and do some data logging.

Quite fun learning how it all works and there are a few people on here that know it inside out.

My neighbour designs and installs ventilation systems. He's installed various types and currently recommends maico. They have fully automated functioning, VOC, CO2, humidity, temperature sensors that control flow rate. You can programme your own modes through the app, e.g. when humidity hits a certain point, it can trigger a change in flow rate. Also have the semi permeable heat exchanger that help with humidity. I've not looked in to MVHR systems at all yet, so not been able to do a comparison. His reason for liking them is the range of control and high level of automation. Fit and forget. Apart from filters....

https://www.eibmarkt.com/gb/products/Maico-Central-air-supply-and-exhaust-device-WS-320-K.html

Edit. Link to manufacture's pages

https://www.maico-ventilatoren.com/en/products/p/ws-470-g51104/ws-470-bet-p113724/

The units with "E" in the name are the enthalpic. Ones with "K" have anti frost pre heaters.

Edited by Conor
  • Thanks 1

The programmable humidity sensor and switch I used was this unit from Poland: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DHC-100-Feuchtigkeitsregler-Hygrostat-Humidity-Control-Sensor-Fuhler-2-meter/182951476628?hash=item2a98c1fd94:g:hAgAAOSwFSxaKeA~

I put the remote sensor inside the extract plenum chamber and it seems to work well.  Boost turns on within a few seconds of a shower starting, or even just from the steam from making a cup of tea, and the unit can be programmed with a variable turn off delay and RH hysteresis.  I fitted the controller inside a surface mount box, in the services room, just above the MVHR:

5746b02169028_Humiditycontroller2.thumb.JPG.eca97a7fd0f95b80521aee98564b374f.JPG

• Like 1

Well here’s the reply ..... doesn’t seem to address dryness of air 

hope this information explains things 

A Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery (MVHR) system is an energy recovery ventilation system that uses an air-to-air heat exchanger that recovers heat that is usually wasted. It works by supply and extracting airflows in and out of homes and buildings to ensure a better indoor air quality. Heat recovery units can recover up to 90% of normally lost heat depending on the unit and the application. A MVHR system works independently from a heating system and due to the heat recovery feature, it can have great savings on your energy bills.

A MVHR system works to eliminate condensation and mould within a building by constantly ventilating a property. By eliminating condensation, it also eliminates the risk of damage to the structure of a building and stops the build up of mould and damp. MVHR systems are suitable for small residential products to large commercial projects.

9 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The programmable humidity sensor and switch I used was this unit from Poland: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DHC-100-Feuchtigkeitsregler-Hygrostat-Humidity-Control-Sensor-Fuhler-2-meter/182951476628?hash=item2a98c1fd94:g:hAgAAOSwFSxaKeA~

I put the remote sensor inside the extract plenum chamber and it seems to work well.  Boost turns on within a few seconds of a shower starting, or even just from the steam from making a cup of tea, and the unit can be programmed with a variable turn off delay and RH hysteresis.  I fitted the controller inside a surface mount box, in the services room, just above the MVHR:

I bought one of those and it's still sitting in it's box unused. I have never found it necessary to increase the extract fan speed.

• Like 1