So !

I will use bcpventilation as everyone seems to recommend them .

But which unit ? ; prices seem quite varied .

1.2k upto 3k - can’t see a great deal of difference between them .

Intend to mount in the loft but off the rafters as others have to reduce noise / vibration .

ta 

I also went through BPC and went for the Vent Axia Kinetic Plus B, which was a bt more £ than the others that they offered me, but did have the summer bypass option, easy to install, efficiency was better than the others IIRC. There's also quite a few people on here who have gone for that option, so I thought I wouldn't be too far wrong with that choice.

Not quite installed it all (loft is too hot) but also plan to site it on top of platform on the ceiling joists. Maybe with some rubber matting to reduce noise/vibration. If that fails, suspending it from rafters.

• Thanks 1

Have you looked at ebay?

I have one of the Mistubishi / Kingspan units that were doing the rounds a couple of years ago,  I still bought all the ducting from BPC which cost about twice the cost of the mvhr unit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Have you looked at ebay?

I have one of the Mistubishi / Kingspan units that were doing the rounds a couple of years ago,  I still bought all the ducting from BPC which cost about twice the cost of the mvhr unit.

And me .

Make sure you have really good access to the unit.  I loft mounted a Vent Axia Kinetic Sentinel Plus and the only way to get at the filters is to disconnect some of the hoses and commando crawl to the far end of the unit.  I doubt the new owners have ever cleaned the filters. It was a struggle for me to do.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Make sure you have really good access to the unit.  I loft mounted a Vent Axia Kinetic Sentinel Plus and the only way to get at the filters is to disconnect some of the hoses and commando crawl to the far end of the unit.  I doubt the new owners have ever cleaned the filters. It was a struggle for me to do.

Thanks . I plan to make sure access is good and will mount it suitably just for that reason .

Been looking through the spec in more detail . They recommend 4 ‘boost’ buttons .

When would I use these ? . I assume in a wet room it would ‘boost’ automatically with humidity. Is there no humidity sensor at the end of each duct ? ( does it not work like that ? ) .

Personally sounds better to link boost to a movement sensor in bathrooms / wetrooms .

I was expecting a system where you set and forget ....

Any advice welcome 

I wish I had specced humidity sensors and enthalpy unit.  As it is I have had to pay vat on enthalpy as bought afterwards and at nearly £1000 not cheap.  I dont have the sensors as we didnt wire for them and its a pain as I have to be aware of when someone has shower and zap it up manually.  It worries me that when I go away my housesitter will not get to grips with the ipad controls (or forget) to put it up manually and I will come back to a nasty damp wetroom.

I have 4 settings. One is a humidity suppressant so if 'off' it will still draw out a bit of moisture. 2. is 30% below building regs, 3. is building regs and 4 is blow your socks off boost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

I wish I had specced humidity sensors and enthalpy unit.  As it is I have had to pay vat on enthalpy as bought afterwards and at nearly £1000 not cheap.  I dont have the sensors as we didnt wire for them and its a pain as I have to be aware of when someone has shower and zap it up manually.  It worries me that when I go away my housesitter will not get to grips with the ipad controls (or forget) to put it up manually and I will come back to a nasty damp wetroom.

I have 4 settings. One is a humidity suppressant so if 'off' it will still draw out a bit of moisture. 2. is 30% below building regs, 3. is building regs and 4 is blow your socks off boost.

Think i’ll Just link the boost function per zone to my own home automation humidity and movement sensors .

Surely the manufacturer doesn’t expect someone to push a boost button just because they’ve had a shower ????!!!

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Surely the manufacturer doesn’t expect someone to push a boost button just because they’ve had a shower ????!!!

Yep... the reason is because humidity varies and you can’t have a “standard” humidity at which to boost. Most people have used motion systems or just a link to a light switch is enough to make it boost when it is needed. 

Its about simplicity ....!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep... the reason is because humidity varies and you can’t have a “standard” humidity at which to boost. Most people have used motion systems or just a link to a light switch is enough to make it boost when it is needed. 

Its about simplicity ....!

@PeterW do you know how would I go about linking one as a retrofit....is it even possible? Its an absolute pain to have to do it the way we are....and only boost if I am at home to do it!

2 minutes ago, jfb said:

I have found that no boost is needed in shower/bath rooms. I just leave the flow rate at the same low rate and there are no condensation problems.

I have a very powerful shower and run it hot so lots of condensation for me.

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You want automated humidity detecting @lizzie ..?

@JSHarris has a very simplified system that uses a Chinese humidity switch to boost the unit at the manifold detection level. 

Yes ideally I would like some sort of automated humidity detect boost.  Will have a look to see if I can find @JSHarris switch post. Thank you

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Sonoff TH10 would do it, which is more automated than a stand alone unit such as  this one which just switches on and off by the relative humidity. You may prefer this as I know you like to keep your house slightly more humid. 

Thank you I will have a look at it

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Been looking through the spec in more detail . They recommend 4 ‘boost’ buttons .

When would I use these ? . I assume in a wet room it would ‘boost’ automatically with humidity. Is there no humidity sensor at the end of each duct ? ( does it not work like that ? ) .

Personally sounds better to link boost to a movement sensor in bathrooms / wetrooms .

I was expecting a system where you set and forget ....

Any advice welcome 

My extract motor is set at 25% for 1, 45% for 2, 75% for 3 and 100% for 4. The system runs at number 2 all the time. I have never had to increase the speed and in the bathrooms there is no condensation. IIRC @JSHarris said he had fitted a humidity sensor but that it wasn't needed.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

My extract motor is set at 25% for 1, 45% for 2, 75% for 3 and 100% for 4. The system runs at number 2 all the time. I have never had to increase the speed and in the bathrooms there is no condensation. IIRC @JSHarris said he had fitted a humidity sensor but that it wasn't needed.

Ok , guess it depends on house layout and usage . I’ll leave the boost switches out but was going to put motion/humidity sensors in anyway ( fibaro one’s do the lot ) . Good to know though