ASHP and Underfloor Costs

This is the price we got for supply and installation of an ASHP, underfloor on ground floor and radiators on 1st

North of £18k seems a bit expensive to me. Any thoughts

AHSP

NIBE Air Source Heat Pump Pack 2-12 2040 12kW/ 

NIBE UKV 40l 2-pipe buffer tank 28mm pipework
Joule High Gain 200l HW cylinder 22mm 
NIBE HR10 ASHP Immersion Connector Kit
ASHP Heating System Glycol/Inhibitor upto 12kW system
2 x Domestic RHI Single Phase Electrical Metering
£10,250

Underfloor

9 Port Underfloor Manifold
Manifold valve set
900m x 16x2 Pex/Al/Pex Pipe
Up to 21m Copper Underfloor Heating F&R 28mm
5 x Heatmiser Slimline Thermostat
Heatmiser Slimeline Thermostat Wetroom Thermostat Inc Sensor & Enclosure
Heatmiser UH8 Wiring Center
£3,800

Radiators

Radiator Distribution Pack 22mm
Radiator Distribution Pack
Dual Fuel Towel Radiator Pack 1.00
7 Radiators: Stelrad Softline Compact Vertical
IFLO 400W Heating Element and T-Piece
IFLO Straight Towel Rad 1800mm X 600mm Chrome
£4,000

Others will be better informed but a couple of things occur to me. 

It sounds like an MCS install to get the RHI, have you worked out how long it will take to get the 'MCS premium' back? You may be better off using a cheaper, non-MCS accredited installer & forgoing the RHI, which is pretty low now anyway IIRC. 

Why not have UFH upstairs too? No wall space taken up so more flexible. 

My current quote for UFH, in slab on the gf & tor board on the ff (180m2 total) is circa £4500. 

12kW seems a lot for a newbuild. What floor area/insulation/air leakage? Nibe is at the expensive end of things so price for heat pump seems O.K. What sort of floor for the UFH and who is laying it? You will be paying for an 'RHI premium'. Most people on here get heat pump etc from ebay etc for a fraction of NIBE prices and forego the small RHI income on a well insulated house.

• Like 1

In terms of price, Nibe is the Rolls Royce of heat pumps. I had a quote for supply and installation of a Nibe 4kw heat pump and cylinder of 11K. I am using a Mitsubishi heat pump and cylinder which I paid £3.7K for. Your Stelrad rads are about £300 each online so again a significant markup. 

We are not bothering with RHI as the house is passivhaus and the cost of the monitoring equipment required would outweigh income. 

17 hours ago, A_L said:

12kW seems a lot for a newbuild. What floor area/insulation/air leakage? Nibe is at the expensive end of things so price for heat pump seems O.K. What sort of floor for the UFH and who is laying it? You will be paying for an 'RHI premium'. Most people on here get heat pump etc from ebay etc for a fraction of NIBE prices and forego the small RHI income on a well insulated house.

Floor area is 200sqm , don't have the u values quite finalised but the quote was based on using a scotframe kit which was quoting u values of 0.16 for the walls. 

11 hours ago, jonM said:

In terms of price, Nibe is the Rolls Royce of heat pumps. I had a quote for supply and installation of a Nibe 4kw heat pump and cylinder of 11K. I am using a Mitsubishi heat pump and cylinder which I paid £3.7K for. Your Stelrad rads are about £300 each online so again a significant markup. 

We are not bothering with RHI as the house is passivhaus and the cost of the monitoring equipment required would outweigh income. 

I think we went for this particular installer more from the point of view of them having a good reputation rather than RHI although you both make a great point about that. We've heard quite a few horror stories in our area of ASHP being badly specified or fitted that we did not want to take a chance,

Re quotes from other suppliers obviously needed . 

17 hours ago, Nick1c said:

Others will be better informed but a couple of things occur to me. 

It sounds like an MCS install to get the RHI, have you worked out how long it will take to get the 'MCS premium' back? You may be better off using a cheaper, non-MCS accredited installer & forgoing the RHI, which is pretty low now anyway IIRC. 

Why not have UFH upstairs too? No wall space taken up so more flexible. 

My current quote for UFH, in slab on the gf & tor board on the ff (180m2 total) is circa £4500. 

Definitely thinking about not bothering with the RHI now.

The feedback we've had on the UFH upstairs has either been that it's not necessary and a few radiators will do (we've been quoted too many radiators) or that there have been issues with things like floor boards and joists creaking and pinging when they warm up cool down.

6 minutes ago, Ralph said:

The feedback we've had on the UFH upstairs has either been that it's not necessary and a few radiators will do (we've been quoted too many radiators) or that there have been issues with things like floor boards and joists creaking and pinging when they warm up cool down.

Floor boards and joists don’t creak and ping - that’s rubbish coming from installers (who don’t like doing it. 

Glue the deck to the joists and it is going nowhere ..! And the low temperatures needed of the water mean there is little expansion. 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Floor area is 200sqm , don't have the u values quite finalised but the quote was based on using a scotframe kit which was quoting u values of 0.16 for the walls. 

Assuming buildings regs levels of insulation and reasonable levels of air leakage and no MVHR 8kW should be sufficient.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Floor boards and joists don’t creak and ping - that’s rubbish coming from installers (who don’t like doing it. 

Glue the deck to the joists and it is going nowhere ..! And the low temperatures needed of the water mean there is little expansion. 

That makes sense, what level are the extra costs for UFH upstairs rather than rads in terms of flooring materials? Do you still need some sort of screed?

42 minutes ago, Ralph said:

That makes sense, what level are the extra costs for UFH upstairs rather than rads in terms of flooring materials? Do you still need some sort of screed?

You can use a screed but tends to be with concrete upper floors. You can use biscuit mix or other infill but you need to make sure your engineer will have included the weight of the screed in any timber or concrete floor solution.