Newby question

spacecowboy

Hi - I have completed my first self build, question I have - As its taken us a long time 5yrs - we have not claimed the vat back yet and not finalised the building regs, Is there a time limit on claiming the vat back from the start of building date?

sorry if this is in wrong category 

John

Edited by spacecowboy
spelling

HMRC changed the rules last year and it used to be that you had to claim the VAT within three months of getting building regs signed off, now it’s three months of moving in!!! (Start paying council tax). There are people more expert than me on this forum about this and I am sure they will be along shortly.

10 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

Will the change be in affect from builds starting from that date, i hope so

Best be very careful, as there have already been cases where HMRC have refused to refund VAT on the basis that the three month period had expired.  Their view on when a house is complete seems to be at odds with the previous view that complete meant having a completion certificate.  There is masses of stuff on this in the VAT thread here, but you need a minimum of ten posts to be able to access that section. 

14 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

Will the change be in affect from builds starting from that date, i hope so

No,  when did you move in? Did you start paying council tax ? There have been some people that won their case on appeal. When I started my build (three years ago) the rules were three months from sign off, and i have been delaying sign off to get all the little things finished and claim the materials, but found out on this forum the rules were changed last year, all detail on that thread @JSHarris refers to above.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

HMRC changed the rules last year and it used to be that you had to claim the VAT within three months of getting building regs signed off, now it’s three months of moving in!!! (Start paying council tax). There are people more expert than me on this forum about this and I am sure they will be along shortly.

I’m hoping that you are wrong 

We have just submitted our vat claim 1 month after sign off 6 after moving in 12 after paying counsel

tax 

I submitted in November, 18 months after moving in (but 2 months after getting BCO sign-off). Required external & landscaping work (i.e. condition of planning / BCO) continued up to the claim date.

Was 100% honest on the form with dates etc.

All got paid in full, no quibbles. 

However, there are reports of it going the other way so it may be dependent on which individual processes your refund and what they had for breakfast etc. 

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Thanks 1

My understanding from some of the claims that were rejected, is spending on the build had ceased some time before the claim.

I suspect that if you have a steady stream of receipts up to the point of submitting the claim that you should be okay or at least will have a damned good case to appeal.

I would argue (cough) that you had to pay council tax because the council insisted, even though the house was not complete and you had not moved in.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would argue (cough) that you had to pay council tax because the council insisted, even though the house was not complete and you had not moved in.

Yes that is what happened to us. We had to start paying council tax in January but moved in, in April. The house was signed off in February, although not complete. We submitted our claim in May, two weeks before the deadline of three months after sign off.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My understanding from some of the claims that were rejected, is spending on the build had ceased some time before the claim.

I suspect that if you have a steady stream of receipts up to the point of submitting the claim that you should be okay or at least will have a damned good case to appeal.

Your quote correct Dave 

We had to pay six moths before it was habitable No gas cert Electrics incomplete Electrician laughed when I asked about signing off 

He said your miles off No kitchen or bathrooms Or boiler 

There Argument was yes it is incomplete But you could complete it if you wanted 

I told them there was 13 week lead time on our German kitchen

I was told Go to Howdens 

No reasoning

We agreed on 50% for six months while still paying 100% on our home

They seem to make it up as they go along