Connecting a Washlet

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect up a Conway BA13 washlet. The T connector they provided doesn't fit the flexible connector I have going into the cistern feed. I tried a few local plumbing suppliers but they didn't come up with anything other than compression fittings. I was hoping for something similar to the supplied t piece adapter I could just screw in myself. 

The flex hose connects via 3/4" screw in via a BSP thread - the washlet t piece top and bottom ends shown below are only 5/8" / 15mm though. 

I don't want to replace the flexihose as it has a valve in it, otherwise I'll have to drain the system....I could get some reducers to add to the t-piece?

Thanks!

coupler.jpg

44 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect up a Conway BA13 washlet. The T connector they provided doesn't fit the flexible connector I have going into the cistern feed. I tried a few local plumbing suppliers but they didn't come up with anything other than compression fittings. I was hoping for something similar to the supplied t piece adapter I could just screw in myself. 

The flex hose connects via 3/4" screw in via a BSP thread - the washlet t piece top and bottom ends shown below are only 5/8" / 15mm though. 

I don't want to replace the flexihose as it has a valve in it, otherwise I'll have to drain the system....I could get some reducers to add to the t-piece?

Thanks!

coupler.jpg

I'd get a 3/4 male Tee and a 3/4 coupler/socket, that lets you basically screw a T onto the underside of the cistern, then screw your 3/4 flexi onto it, then get a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer (I am not sure it's 5/8, 1/2 would be more common). 

https://www.toolstation.com/brass-female-socket/p43908

https://plumbing4home.com/brass-t-shape-water-fuel-pipe-male-tee-adapter-connector-34-inch-thread/

https://www.malcleanse.co.uk/34-bsp-f-x-12-m-brass-reducing-nipple-176921-p-7133.html

Edited by Carrerahill

The table below shows dimensions for male threads and the number of threads per inch (TPI) :

British Standard Pipe Thread Sizes

BSP Size

Outside Diameter

TPI

1/16"

7.7mm / 0.304"

1/8"

9.7mm / 0.383"

1/4"

13.16mm / 0.518"

3/8"

16.66mm / 0.656"

1/2"

20.99mm / 0.825"

5/8"

22.99mm / 0.902"

3/4"

26.44mm / 1.041"

1"

33.25mm / 1.309"

1-1/4"

41.91mm / 1.650"

1-1/2"

47.80mm / 1.882"

2"

59.61mm / 2.347"

2-1/2"

75.18mm / 2.96"

3"

87.88mm / 3.46"

4"

113.03mm / 4.45"

5"

138.43mm / 5.45"

6"

163.83mm / 6.45"

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mike2016 said:

Hmmm...

Now it say's 3/4 inch thread on the invoice, it's marked 3/4 but the measuring tape says different. 

Did I get the wrong part or order the wrong thing?! 

Does it fit? That is the only important question.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mike2016 said:

Hmmm...

Now it say's 3/4 inch thread on the invoice, it's marked 3/4 but the measuring tape says different. 

Did I get the wrong part or order the wrong thing?! 

IMG_20190624_175321 - Copy.jpg

You are measuring the thread of a union all the measurements are based on the pipe size. Take a 15mm compression joint, it's bigger than the 15mm pipe itself but it's still a 15mm joint. 

Your tape is a little off at the left but a 3/4inch BSP thread will be 1.041".

Edited by Carrerahill

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Isn't 3/4 the bore of the pipe.  I have never really understood plumbing fittings.

My understanding: inches are the inside diameter (bore), mm are the outside diameter. E.g., ½" = 15mm. (15 - 12.7)/2 = 1.15mm wall thickness. Is that broadly right? No doubt there are weird exceptions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got the parts and put them together. Washlet working but I've a persistent leak. I've circled where it appears to originate from in the photo below. I've tried Fernox a few times and just can't shake it. My suspicion is that the piece labelled A is just a straight through screw piece to join the toilet cistern thread to the t-piece thread. There's nothing inside like a washer to press up against. The area I've circled just weeps constantly. 

My question is how do I seal this connection - the hose ends all have a washer and tighten up but the coupling A I've never faced before and apart from PTFE tape I've no idea what else to do there to make a good seal.....?!! 

Thanks!

washlet.jpg

7 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Well, I got the parts and put them together. Washlet working but I've a persistent leak. I've circled where it appears to originate from in the photo below. I've tried Fernox a few times and just can't shake it. My suspicion is that the piece labelled A is just a straight through screw piece to join the toilet cistern thread to the t-piece thread. There's nothing inside like a washer to press up against. The area I've circled just weeps constantly. 

My question is how do I seal this connection - the hose ends all have a washer and tighten up but the coupling A I've never faced before and apart from PTFE tape I've no idea what else to do there to make a good seal.....?!! 

Thanks!

washlet.jpg

Normal for threaded unions like this not to have any seals or gaskets, when jointing iron pipe with threaded ends onto malleable iron fittings it was common to use water hawk or white hawk for gas. Those lines then last for ever.

Get it stripped, dried and get a good dose of Water Hawk on it, do it up and leave it to set up a bit, it says instant and if it doesn't leak then it's good for ever but I tend to give it an hour or so. It will seal.

Out of a matter of interest, how many wraps of PTFE did you use? It is common to need to use a good 15-20 on larger threads.

Edited by Carrerahill

2 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Thanks! I take it you use water hawk OR PTFE, not both? I did about a dozen wraps of PTFE, I'll clean it all up and try that jointing compound next.....Cheers..!

Correct just a single product. For a cheaper alternative and so you don't have a tin of stuff you may never use again you could try LSX. 

If you only did 12 wraps of PTFE I would go for 20 and try again. It should seal with PTFE. If you stage it so you can get it threaded then it gets thicker on the tape it will bind up well, it should be a fair twist once you get going, if it spins on easily with fingers after the first few threads then you didn't use enough.

Edited by Carrerahill

Also, make sure you pull the PTFE tape tight into the threads when wrapping it, and wrap it so it tightens as the parts are screwed together.  As above, fairly usual to need 20 wraps or more of PTFE tape pulled tight on fittings like this.

I'm also a fan of the Screwfix Liquid PTFE.  Stupidly designed bottle it comes in, but I've yet to find a fitting it can't seal up first go.