Extending existing lighting

gravelld

I have one external wall light. I want two extra lights.

Is it possible to:

- Install some kind of junction box where the current wiring comes out of the wall into the existing light

- Cut a groove in the existing rendering for the armoured cable for the two extra lights, install the cable, render over again (we'll be painting anyway)

- Wire in all lights to the new junction box

- Fit the lights

AIUI this isn't a new circuit, just extending the existing one.

Is this notifiable or Part P work?

You could daisy chain back out of the existing light if that route was acceptable - saves ugly JB's. You may need to knock out or drill for a new gland to do it neatly, most lights come with suitable holes/knock-outs for this.

As for routing cable, the cable could be buried in your render but make sure it stays within prescribed acceptable routes, i.e. straight between the two lights etc. I don't think I would use SWA to be honest, unless the cable is going to be at risk from mechanical damage.

Only you can answer the question on your ability to fit them, are you competent? From the questions asked I guess your not, with all due respect, particularly electrical minded.

If you feel you can wire them up properly then go for it.

As for notifiable or part P... if you can do a suitable job just do it! As you are adding to an external circuit I would say yes it is. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

As for notifiable or part P... if you can do a suitable job just do it! As you are adding to an external circuit I would say yes it is. 

All electrical work falls under Part P (which essentially requires compliance with regs) but only installation of new circuits, replacement of consumer units and/or work in a special location (near baths/shows, in swimming pools and saunas) are notifiable. Extending an existing circuit is therefore not notifiable (being outdoors used to make it notifiable but that changed in April 2013).

Edited by MJNewton
  • Thanks 1