The eyes have it, the eyes have it!

My eyes aren't what they once were. Worse, this time of year, in addition to work-related dust, there's pollen.

Over time, I have accumulated an impressive collection of eye protection. Stored here, there and everywhere: car floor, bedside table, underfoot, tool bag, dog kennel, and the eye-wear storage box.

Oh, and there's a pair on my head at the moment: not so long ago I managed to get into the shower with a pair tucked into my goldilocks .

Which made me think.

How best to clean them? Tried all sorts, but there's one way that exceeded all expectations. 

The dishwasher.

I'd love to find a scratch-proof set: dishwashers can't sort that problem.

Have you found some that don't scratch?

All those years of self abuse have got nothing to do with it!

Top tip for lightly scratched safety goggles etc.....toothpaste. Rub on neat on a cloth with a few drops of water. Makes a fine cutting paste. Good on scratched CDs too. Don't forget to rinse well.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

All those years of self abuse have got nothing to do with it!

Top tip for lightly scratched safety goggles etc.....toothpaste. Rub on neat on a cloth with a few drops of water. Makes a fine cutting paste. Good on scratched CDs too. Don't forget to rinse well.

+1 for ON Off. done that on the plastic headlight before.

7 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

+1 for ON Off. done that on the plastic headlight before.

The whitening toothpastes are better for more stubborn marks. There's a charcoal one seems to work well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Visor or glasses?

I really like a visor..... feel like a plonker when wearing one , though....

My JSP hard hat has a built in set of specs / visor that pulls down from the inside. It’s better than nothing and also means you can’t forget to put them on when you’re doing stuff ...

Closely related: I wear safety glasses pretty much all the time I'm working. Three reasons: eye safety (duh!) but also they're bifocal and I really need them for any sort of close-up work and they also help with avoiding my eyes drying out.

The problem I have is them misting up as soon as I do anything which takes a bit of effort or if I get angry about anything. Any suggestions for sprays or whatever to prevent that?

Scuba divers spit into their masks, finger it around, then rinse off.

It works but I have no idea why.

Do my shiny acrylic replacement lenses that were put in as replacements for my old cataracted ones count as safety lenses. Driving is safer now.

Edited by SteamyTea

57 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

The problem I have is them misting up as soon as I do anything which takes a bit of effort or if I get angry about anything. Any suggestions for sprays or whatever to prevent that?

Rub with a dry bar of soap and polish off with a soft cloth.

• Thanks 1