Megabad for kitchens

bassanclan

We have now had or Haeker kitchen delivered and installed (awaiting worktops). Attention to detail in cabinetry is very good - e.g. rear panels are screwed in with tight spacing between screws and glued around all edges and all joints have been well glued - no movement in the assembled cabinet. Fitter also expressed how solid they are. Here's hoping that this detailing results in a long-lasting kitchen - I have no desire to replace it in my lifetime.

• Like 1

I have looked into this original question a little.

Comparing a Rotpunkt kitchen sourced locally £20000

Alno kitchen from Germany E9000 euros! plus delivery which I think will cost around £1000 so coming in under half the price of the Rotpunkt.

I'm going tot try and get some more local prices to see if they can get in around the £10-12000 mark

£20k for a Rotpunkt kitchen :$

The price for the Alno kitchen is about right in Germany. Alno is very much a Magnet type product in Germany but clever marketing plus positioning withing John Lewis gives it credibility in the UK and lifts its price right up. Quality wise an Alno kitchen is very much on part with the entry-mid range market. Rotpunkt is similar so really in the UK you should be paying comparable prices for both.

If you like send me a floor plan and finish and I can give you an indication of what its likely to realistically cost.

FWIW I didn't think the Alno bit of our kitchen was that expensive relative to other quotes we had. 

It was the 2 slide and hide ovens, the 900mm flexi-induction hob and 7m2 of quartz worktop that did the damage

And we bought ours in last October when Alno were running a promo, only 10% but it all helps. At least it actually was something like a 10% discount not claimed 50% off stuff you get in some places that after exclusions knocks £2.50 off your bill

Edited by daiking

• 10 months later...

So that's circa 3300 for units and 2 dishwashers 

£300 on granite 

£895 for the quooker fusion

£215 on oak worktop

£90 on solid acrylic bar

£9 led ribbon

£40 z wave remote controller

£100 oak trim 70mm * 12mm

that leaves circa 1250 to find a sink and the appliances. I'm probably a grand short  but I'll settle for 7k 

@Lesgrandepotato who's dishwashers have you gone with ..? I've been seriously impressed with Amica recently - they seem well made and at a decent price point that if it comes to it in 3-4 years time they will get replaced quite easily with something slightly more expensive. 

I like ikea as they can be easily customised however I don't like their new sizing as nothing else matches. I've been struggling too to get a 900mm Belfast unit by anyone as it seems Villeroy & Boch have made a sink that no-one can fit ...

On 12/09/2016 at 17:53, ragg987 said:

We ended up using a local UK kitchen supplier who provides German kitchens from these guys. Much better than the DIY sheds.

https://www.haecker-kuechen.de/en/

There are a number of UK chains and independants that stock them. e.g. Grant and Stone have branded them Kuche.

Not yet installed so jury is out, but look good, solid and good pricing - come fully assembled and glued so prices a bit higher than IKEA if you are paying your builder to assemble them.

We have a Haecker kitchen (1 year old now) and are very pleased with it - superb attention to detail and very substantially built.

Our utility had some awkward elements to fit around (gas boiler flue, 180mm MVHR ducts) so the installer pretty much built a bespoke unit around those parts.

One year in it still looks good as new.

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

@Lesgrandepotato who's dishwashers have you gone with ..? I've been seriously impressed with Amica recently - they seem well made and at a decent price point that if it comes to it in 3-4 years time they will get replaced quite easily with something slightly more expensive. 

We've gone ikea dishwashers, apparently they are made by one of the other major players. Seem decent enough so far but I've only put them in place not washed owt. The funny unit depths has been a challenge for the second hand granite. But we've got some 30mm sq acrylic bar tha we'll insert into the back of the worktop with an led strip underneath. 

2 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

We've gone ikea dishwashers, apparently they are made by one of the other major players. Seem decent enough so far but I've only put them in place not washed owt. The funny unit depths has been a challenge for the second hand granite. But we've got some 30mm sq acrylic bar tha we'll insert into the back of the worktop with an led strip underneath. 

Cheers

it's all whirlpool stuff from Ikea. I have considered using their kitchen and like you going with a decent worktop. 

Where did you get 2nd hand granite out if interest..?

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where did you get 2nd hand granite out if interest..?

From a mate who had a kitchen fitted and the sections didn't match. The supplier abandoned it on his site and its been waiting to be fitted for a year or so. 

Suspect ebay may be a treasure trove for it if you'll travel or a maybe a local fitters who take stuff out?

5 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Really shouldn't have looked on eBay at granite. Loads of it on there. We are going to move ours in the veedub ratchet strapped to a couple of scaff planks to make sure it doesn't break

I just did .......

and the full kitchens for sale with granite and appliances for £500..!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I just did .......

and the full kitchens for sale with granite and appliances for £500..!

I looked as well.

I need a bigger shed for stock.

They are as good value as the conservatories. Or the two sets of nearly new French doors I bought recently for £130 and £150. 

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Anything thats hard to post is good value on eBay. Got my rayburn for £220 seven year old model!

It just upsets me when I see things going for peanuts because they're invariably hundreds of miles away.

I wish eBay allowed you to filter searches by whether the seller is collect-only or not.

2 hours ago, Crofter said:

It just upsets me when I see things going for peanuts because they're invariably hundreds of miles away.

I wish eBay allowed you to filter searches by whether the seller is collect-only or not.

+1 to that.

You also get the ludicrous situation where an item is listed, with postage specified as "Royal Mail" then you click the button to buy it, only to be told "Does not post to Scottish Highlands"  I have even tried arguing "but you are using Royal Mail" to no avail.

yup, I hate that one too. But there's reason behind it apparently- when you negotiate a price with RM/PF for say, a few thousand parcels a year at a fixed cost, you can choose whether to include Highlands and Islands or not and then H&I shipments are either blanket not allowed or exorbitant.

Which is of course different to the retail division's structure, so it would actually be cheaper for us to arrange a collection. If the vendor allowed it.

13 hours ago, Crofter said:

@CrofterI think it does let you do that.

When you do a search on the results screen there is a "Click and Collect" filter on the LHS which may be that

And there is a "Collection in Person" checkbox on the Advanced Search screen.

You can also set up a saved search, which may have the same options (have not checked).

The best ones are the ones who say Collect Only when they are in the middle of nowhere, and scare 90% away, but then turn out to be willing to Courier or have a Courier collect :ph34r:. And the misspellings eg "French Widows".

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

You can also set up a saved search, which may have the same options (have not checked)

I can confirm this works, bought loads of stuff collection only by setting distance item is from me.

Also worth messaging seller if they would be willing to do P&P or packing and you arrange courier/collection.

On 11 September 2017 at 07:51, Ferdinand said:

@CrofterI think it does let you do that.

When you do a search on the results screen there is a "Click and Collect" filter on the LHS which may be that

And there is a "Collection in Person" checkbox on the Advanced Search screen.

You can also set up a saved search, which may have the same options (have not checked).

The best ones are the ones who say Collect Only when they are in the middle of nowhere, and scare 90% away, but then turn out to be willing to Courier or have a Courier collect :ph34r:. And the misspellings eg "French Widows".

F

Maybe I'm being thick, but I haven't seen an option to filter out the collect only stuff.

Yes you can search by distance but that generally just shows me that the nearest thing of any interest is in Glasgow. I suppose it's only about a twelve hour round trip, what am I complaining about :D