Using shipping containers

OK, I may be bonkers, but am just playing with ideas on how to save money and realised that the back flat roofed 'extension' on our rectangular stable conversion, is roughly the size of a regular and a small (i.e.  20' and a 10') shipping container, end to end. 

The area they would stand on is right next to trees and the stable has some movement and needs underpinning, so this 'extension' will need substantial foundations. However,  shipping containers don't need foundations as such, do they??? 

I can see that the join between the building and the containers might move, but surely that's not insurmountable?

Am I bonkers? They seem to do this kind of thing on Sarah Beeny and George Clarke? I've read that containers can be converted to building regs standard. 

Eyewatering figures for foundation piles have been bandied about by the structural surveyor. ..

We use shipping containers all the time for temporary or emergency works... E.g pumping stations, UV plants, chemical dosers etc.... 99% of the time they sit on 100mm concrete rafts, in all sorts of ground conditions. Don't see why you can't do that for an extension. Your best bet to connect to the existing house would be to use a glass "link" to join the two.

This seems possible. There are a few things to think about, though:

1) How would you insulate under the floor?

2) How will you insulate the top and sides? If you put the insulation on the outside then you'll need an additional weather-proof skin outside that at which point it seems a bit of a waster of steel for the container.

If you put the insulation on the inside then there's the problem that the steel is not overly vapour open so you're likely to have problems with condensation between the insulation and the steel. Also, once you have a reasonable amount of insulation on the inside the dimensions of a container get a bit cramped.

Whichever you choose you need to join it up with the floor insulation in a way which doesn't create a significant cold bridge.

3) How much window area does this extension need? If you cut a significant amount of sheeting out the side of a container it can start distorting and loses a lot of the stiffness which you bought it for.

In theory containers seem like a good thing to use but I think practical considerations are likely to negate most of the supposed benefits. E.g., containers don't need foundations because they are structurally stiff within themselves. Maybe some other construction method can give you the stiffness and tolerance of movement needed. Masonry is unlikely to do that but some sort of timber frame might be more appropriate.

38 minutes ago, dimpsy said:

https://www.pb-architects.com/work/grillagh-water

This is about the best example of what can be done, he had a rather cool bath as well. Think it was on grand designs so worth a watch.

I remember that one. He cut most the the container away and then had to reinforce what was left. I just couldn't understand why he didnt stick build it from scratch as it would have been much easier and cheaper. Shipping container houses are a real Architect student kind of project that just don't make sense financially.

• Like 1