Location of BT Master Box

So following on from the discussion about eye watering BT connection costs, does anyone have the definitive answer on where a master box has to be installed..??

Query is this - plot is on a corner, with a road running along the boundary to the right and a track to the front. House is near in line with a telegraph pole on the opposite side of the road, but the line would be overhead as per next door.

Opposite the drive is a BT connection box in the ground and its across a track that we have rights over. Downside to that is the 35m up the drive from the connection which I expect BT will want to do so is going to be silly expensive. I could terminate at the gates as with the power but not sure where BT insist on installing master sockets..?

Can you just fit a meter box and ask them to stick it in there and let them bugger off? 

Have a coupe of £20 notes on you and ask them to leave 50m of slack coiled up there with the socket made off to the end. If they won't, it's not the end of the world having a joint in the cable so just get them to do as little as possible and get them sent away ASAP. 

I don't really think they bother where it is.  they gave me a 100 metre drum of SWA 5 pair phone cable to install. I will leave some slack under the floor and bring it up under the stairs where the router can sit out of the way, and then slave phone wiring can go to other sockets.

in the last build, they fitted the master in the static 'van, with a big coil of cable left and I moved it into the house myself when we were ready.

And in a previous house I actually had the master socket installed in the loft, and from there ran the cabling I wanted to the slave sockets where I wanted them. That was when sockets were first introduced, before that your (clockwork) phone was hard wired to a junction box.

We have two Open Reach engineers staying in our B&B at the moment, aparently we have temporarily imported a lot of them from "down South" One is from Manchester and one from Yorkshire (I appreciate not many of you think of those as "down south") due to the backlog of faults resulting from a lot of lightening strikes just over a month ago.  One of them upgraded my router to the latest version of Home Hub, but as I predicted it made no difference to our slow broadband, and even the latest one still crashes from time to time and needs resetting.