1st Fix hints and tips

Leaway

Just getting the site progressed with first fix prior to MBC returning and plasterboard, are there any hints, tips or checklists so items are not forgotten before walls are covered up?

Back box heights, beyond the 450mm from floor level what are the heights for thermostats or is it personal preference? Best fix screw them to the service battens?

Best way to support light pendants between roof joists?

Support noggins for kitchen units is there a standard height

Should a back board be used for such things as consumer units, manifold control units (and dismiss with the plasterboard)?

Heavy items (buffer tank), best way to fix noggins?

Boarding for internal walls before plasterboard? (for support)

• Like 2

Noggin and drill hole in it for wire for pendants

fix boxes after p board, fast fix are nice, thermostat 1.5m 

whole sheet behing buffer tank, 50 X 200 noggin behind that to fix into

p board can carry wall cupboards so pictures easy, hogs for coat hooks and shelves, 

tv phone, Ethernet, light switch by bed for landing light :)

Don't get bullied over the stat position into dropping it to 1200mm by any LBC bod spouting Part M. Just follow the instructions that come with it (which probably says 1500mm as aforementioned above).

Try and fix a p'board box that's pulled through the (decorated etc) wall and you'll wish you'd used a metal back box screwed to a carefully positioned batten I know that! Ditto any fitting where you COULD have whacked some battens and a bit of ply beforehand. Hindsight and all that!

Measured from top of kitchen worktop to bottom of sockets above, no less than 100mm. 

Worth getting either the NICEIC or IET electricians guide to the building regs.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKDIGslash3.html

http://electrical.theiet.org/books/amendment-no3/egbr-4ed.cfm

thanks guys, luckily only got 3/4 pendants of which a couple i can install from the loft space afterwards.

I juggling between fast fix and metal back boxes but my preferences at the moment is metal having had previous issues with fast fix boxes in previous properties. I could fix some of these before MBC come so plasterers can follow them straight away?

Plasterboard carrying cupboards i assume you don't mean kitchen cupboards? What the standard heights of kitchen unit fixing points?

Re fast fix boxes.

They have a bad reputation in some places.  Three things can go "wrong" with them.  They can pull through the wall because the fixing lugs are too small, the fixing lugs are not held in position properly so when you try and screw an accessory on, the lug just pushes back out of the way, and lastly the screws can jamb and the nut spins in it's plastic moulding.

The fact is, the design of a LOT of fast fix boxes leaves a lot to be desired.

but there is a simple solution, just buy a decent make of fast fix box. I only ever use Appleby fast fix boxes and they have none of these problems.

8 hours ago, Leaway said:

Just getting the site progressed with first fix prior to MBC returning and plasterboard, are there any hints, tips or checklists so items are not forgotten before walls are covered up?

I was interested to read that statement. I didn't think MBC ever did more than just slab and frame. Have you got them doing more?

Another thing with fast fix boxes is the quality of the cutting out of the board. Worth trying to keep intact the paper on the back of the board as it holds it all together. If you're fitting the box after the board you're likely not going to get a batten in.

If you're really anal like some people you can carefully trim out with a multi tool and a fine toothed blade. On the cut edge you can paint on some PVA to help keep it all together. Makes a lovely neat job.....apparently ;)

EDIT: Or just buy a pad saw.....

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1