Driveway Flooding Issue

The stables

We live part way down a farm track and the end of our drive is in a bit of a dip. It’s a barn conversion and when converted looks like they decided not to put any drainage in. 

We put a channel drain along the edge of the driveway however it looks like there’s not enough run off for the water to flow away. 

Would be grateful for any suggestions for how best to resolve this before we spend even more money trying to sort it. 

A14281EB-104D-4EF5-ABD6-8239D0731462.jpeg

6EB3F632-85F9-4DBB-B178-0771F068EEFF.jpeg

DCDE08D1-14CE-4F15-A0D0-EA4CF1E6D281.jpeg

Where does your channel drain to???

Looking at the pic the water is sitting over your channel so it isn't draining anywhere. Have you checked the end of the run in the channel to see if it's clogged with leaves and crap. 

If this is clean you might need to rod it to the nearest manhole as it might be blocked some where in between.

Hi, on the bottom pic you can see the concrete section, its literarily just a pipe that ends where you can see that concrete ends and it runs off down the lane, about 15m round that corner is a grid which it eventually ends up running into. 

I think the drain may have some crap in it, I’ll clean it out this weekend but I think the run off is probably not enough to take all of the water away. 

Edited by The stables

You could put in another length of the channel out from your existing run so it's a T shape to try to collect as much as you can. But I would try rodding that run first. If it clears then you will need to put a mesh basket to collect all the crap so it doesn't block it again. One of these things will do your job.

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/aco-hexdrain-channel-drain-end-caps-outlet-accessories-pack.html

I'd probably lift the channel, cut around a 400mm strip along the whole front and put in 100mm concrete, then form a gully into it (I use a piece of gutter and slide it along) you then have a surface water run off that can be easily swept and cleaned over and a few stones won't block it.

Alternatively lift the channel and fit a proper big commercial channel and run it to a proper drain - the drain it eventually runs into, is that public highway or in someone elses property? What sort of sewage system are you on? Septic or mains? If mains you could tie into that if there was a drain line handy - I would make sure to put in at the very least a trap but better a sump as it looks like that road will be prone to muck and gravel and what no wanting to block your drains. 

Thanks for the advice. 

So so essentially you mean install something similar to what’s in but wider and with an open top rather than the metal covers so it can be easily cleared? 

This is half the problem, lane traffic plus us driving on and off the drive quickly fills the channel up with rubbish. Plus I’ve had to put hardcore from the channel out to the lane to level it slightly to prevent damage to the edge of the channel when driving on and off and this keeps coming loose and filling the channel up. 

The drain it eventually runs into is our neighbours, he doesn’t seem to have much of an issue with it but would probably have an issue if I officially ripped up the lane and put a proper pipe all the way into it. Thought about somehow connecting it to our drainage but on septic tank with soakaway and and this lane water would probably fill it in no time and also not sure you should really be connecting surface water drainage to septic tank. 

8 minutes ago, The stables said:

Thanks for the advice. 

So so essentially you mean install something similar to what’s in but wider and with an open top rather than the metal covers so it can be easily cleared? 

This is half the problem, lane traffic plus us driving on and off the drive quickly fills the channel up with rubbish. Plus I’ve had to put hardcore from the channel out to the lane to level it slightly to prevent damage to the edge of the channel when driving on and off and this keeps coming loose and filling the channel up. 

The drain it eventually runs into is our neighbours, he doesn’t seem to have much of an issue with it but would probably have an issue if I officially ripped up the lane and put a proper pipe all the way into it. Thought about somehow connecting it to our drainage but on septic tank with soakaway and and this lane water would probably fill it in no time and also not sure you should really be connecting surface water drainage to septic tank. 

Something like this, but you could pour it in concrete and form it yourself.

It is a simple channel drain - at the end of it if it won't naturally continue to run away then fit a gully and pipe it to where it needs to go.

I was going to lay channel drains and all sorts for my garage but I thought about it and decided that it will likely fill with stones from the drive and end up full of sawdust and rust from my projects I do in the garage. I also liked the idea of being able to roll the car tyre (rolling chassis of project cars) into it and it would stay put. I am going to pour mine as I like making concrete, any excuse to get the mixer out and make a batch of concrete and I am there!

08-07-Concrete-Kerbs.jpg.6d7b288ce8d8ab827bfff5f327d5cf34.jpg

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

You could put in another length of the channel out from your existing run so it's a T shape to try to collect as much as you can. But I would try rodding that run first. If it clears then you will need to put a mesh basket to collect all the crap so it doesn't block it again. One of these things will do your job.

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/aco-hexdrain-channel-drain-end-caps-outlet-accessories-pack.html

Purchased for now to stop all the rubbish coming in the end of the channel. Thanks

Cheers Carrerahill, I suggested one of these initially rather than the aco we’ve got in but went with the builders suggestion. Wish I hadn’t as the above would be so much easier to sweep out and looks like it would take more water away as it’s a bit more commercial. Also the metal tops on the aco are all getting nackered from stones getting on them and then driving over. I’ll have to go and price some up 

3 hours ago, The stables said:

Would be grateful for any suggestions for how best to resolve this before we spend even more money trying to sort it. 

Do you need to act?

In my part of the world over the past 4 days (Monday to Thursday) we have had nearly 4" of rain or about two times the long-term average total monthly rainfall.

Wouldn't do anything until you know its not blocked.

Meanwhile you could measure the depth of water above the linear drain at various points. If you can find deeper water anywhere else in the same puddle that bit won't drain.

Ok so you guys were right, I took the tops off the drains and almost filled a rubble bucket with the sludge. Even with the bit of rain we’re had since it’s mostly drained away. 

Were just left left with this standing water now. What would you recommend to level the lane off onto the drain so the remaining water runs off? 

Im going to get up the stuff that’s down at the moment as is mostly dirt and keeps coming loose and filling up the drain. 

Hardcore or road planings or something else? I think tarmac is going to be too expensive. 

96BE96C1-0894-407C-963E-2007658D49D3.jpeg

8752530A-24C8-43D4-A3CB-DAEE16DD43D6.jpeg

Edited by The stables

Scrape that back to about 50mm lower than the finished level you want and get tarmac laid, It looks solid enough to be the sub base for tarmac.

But if the "joint" to the lane is lower than your drain, then it won't drain away.

I think I’d have to go out about half way into the lane to get the right gradient and at the widest point is about 3m, and it’s about 11m long. Any ideas roughly how much that might cost? Wouldn’t need to be the posh smooth stuff they use on driveways just cheap rough stuff would do since it is essentially just a lane. 

What about concreting it, I’m guess that might be cheaper? 

Edited by The stables