Garden ideas

About to start on the garden....if the rain ever stops....got some basics done while builders were still here last year now I need to go on and get it finished.

Too many ideas rolling round in my head so off I go to BBC Gardeners World Live at NEC today (free tickets) looking to refine my ideas.

The weather was atrocious.  The wildflower meadow gardens looked an utter mess, the lawns were seas of mud. There was an eco style garden with grassed roof building....it looked horrendous, think it was just turf.......the best show areas were those with artificial grass!!

I felt so sorry for all the exhibitors.  We diverted into the Good Food Show (also on today) for a dry out and a warm up, got nabbed by slick salesman into watching a video presentation for retirement villages.  And there was I thinking we didn't really look our age!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Yes, looks very nice. I like the features that give sight lines and add interest.

I especially like the paving. Looks like the sort of paving stones that I will be after. What is it, may I ask?

It’s all reclaimed York stone off the site. Lovely stuff, weighs a tonne and a bit of a fiend to lay... if your local I have fair amount left in stock.... local places are selling it at £100 per square meter. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

We’ve tried to keep some original ruined walls to tell a story and mix that with a industrial inspired look and the same ‘Cal’ look stripped down feel the house has. Hence the levelled thresholds, and no visible fixings wherever possible. 

If that's Hollywood, California the ruined walls will make it like the Alamo. Cool.

Edited by Ferdinand

The Cal look is a style for vee dubs, it’s basically stock with the ‘fussy’ bits removed. 

So we have velfac windows with no visible hinges, the ball has no visible support, the internal pendants have the roses deleted and the stairs have no visible fixings. 

Its all about purity of lines and (apparent) simplicity. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2019 at 07:44, Ferdinand said:

Looks good.

Two questions.

1 - How are those seals along the back of the pool fastened down?  Gravity?

2 - Did you consider raised pools? I quite like them with a wall at seat height.

F

They are now paved over. Didn’t consider a raised pool here. Was trying for a level threshold at the front and rear of the house to ‘borrow’ space