Time Lapse Video

Having obtained planning permission and put together the technical plans, the big day is approaching. Some time soon I will commence site clearance, and begin to build!

I am thinking of creating a time lapse video of the project. This may or may not go on YouTube or somewhere, but will in any event be a nice record for me to look back on when I'm old and grey (or older and more grey anyway).

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am not sure which camera to go for. It seems I can get an outdoor one designed for construction projects like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinno-BCC100/dp/B00EA1EODE

....but I don't know enough (i.e. anything at all) about it.

Any experience out there?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Alex C said:

Go pro and drill a hole in the waterproof case so you can run a power lead. You won't be able to rely on batteries for the amount of time it will be on.

Looks like this person agrees with you!

http://www.thinkoholic.com/2014/01/21/construction-time-lapse-gopro-hero3-brinno/

I am tempted by the gopro if only for the far better resolution. The brinno100 seems fine other than fairly poor quality images judging by their youtube videos.

1 hour ago, Tony K said:

Having obtained planning permission and put together the technical plans, the big day is approaching. Some time soon I will commence site clearance, and begin to build!

I am thinking of creating a time lapse video of the project. This may or may not go on YouTube or somewhere, but will in any event be a nice record for me to look back on when I'm old and grey (or older and more grey anyway).

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am not sure which camera to go for. It seems I can get an outdoor one designed for construction projects like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinno-BCC100/dp/B00EA1EODE

....but I don't know enough (i.e. anything at all) about it.

Any experience out there?

Thanks

Basically, you need to record shed loads of footage ideally from the exact same location with same zoom and focus so when all joined up it doesn't jump about too much. 

Either have a camera stationed permanently with a feed out to a remote storage location so you can save up the Tb's of data without needing to swap cards all the time, the other option is to have a solid post mounted (4x4 fence post concreted in would work with the mount on the top) then have some marks to line it all up each day.

I have the Brinno and it's quite cool the way it works. They have a calculator on the website to help https://www.brinno.com/index.php/support/time_setting_calculator

The picture quality is not the greatest but the batteries last for months depending on the setting. 

Someone on here has used the Brinno and posted a video, @Cambs perhaps?

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

If going down the Go Pro route it's worth looking at the cheaper SJ Cam models: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SJCAM-Multi-function-Waterproof-Camcorder-wide-angle/dp/B01HXQ70K6 .  They are pretty much the same sort of quality as the Go Pro, but a fair bit cheaper. 

Thanks JSH, that is a significantly better price than some of the options I was looking at.

I've now had a look on youtube for some gopro construction time lapse videos, and I was a little surprised to see that the image quality didn't actually seem that much better than the brinno.

I wonder if this is a case of the angle of the camera / the light source etc being as important if not more so than the camera?

Edited by Tony K

3 hours ago, Tony K said:

[...]

[...]

Brinno for me.

Saved us several thousand pounds ; evidence of criminal behaviour on the part of one or two employees. 

2 hours ago, Tony K said:

I've now had a look on youtube for some gopro construction time lapse videos, and I was a little surprised to see that the image quality didn't actually seem that much better than the brinno.

I wonder if this is a case of the angle of the camera / the light source etc being as important if not more so than the camera?

Go pro time lapse is pretty standard in the tv documentery industry so I would be surprised if you couldn't get the quality to be good enough. I shot the stuff that has been used by MBC on their website using my slr. The quality is excellent but I had to downsize the images loosing a lot of quality, and also a bit of a handful managing huge file sizes. If you can be bothered moving the camera around during stages of the build that happen quickly you get a much more watchable video that looks like a proper edit.

1 hour ago, Alex C said:

Go pro time lapse is pretty standard in the tv documentery industry so I would be surprised if you couldn't get the quality to be good enough. I shot the stuff that has been used by MBC on their website using my slr. The quality is excellent but I had to downsize the images loosing a lot of quality, and also a bit of a handful managing huge file sizes. If you can be bothered moving the camera around during stages of the build that happen quickly you get a much more watchable video that looks like a proper edit.

Yes I noticed the difference between static position time lapse videos and those comprising different angles, and even a combination of time lapse and real time footage. 

It certainly does make for a more interesting video. 

57 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

are there any with batteries that a wee solar panel can keep them charged 

There is a thing called a cam do (I think) which works that way.