Scaffolding

A tower like that is fine to access one point for a specific job.

Kwiksage (or similar systems like cuplock) can be a single tower, or they can scaffold your entire house in one continuous run. That is the attraction, versatility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K78 said:

What is the reason is many decide to go for kwikstage over other scaffolding?

[...]

The business case.

Why rent scaffold that's subject to regulation and monthly hire charge, when you can (in our case) spend £5K+ and get the money back later on? I do not have to have KS inspected or ask a scaffolder to move it. And I can build a scaffold tower if I need one, and move it around inside the house - with four wheels. 

Initially I was daunted by the prospect of taking full responsibility of it, but now - with care - I seem to manage Ok on my own. Its abit quicker with two, but 1 person can handle it.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

The business case.

Why rent scaffold that's subject to regulation and monthly hire charge, when you can (in our case) spend £5K+ and get the money back later on? I do not have to have KS inspected or ask a scaffolder to move it. And I can build a scaffold tower if I need one, and move it around inside the house - with four wheels. 

Initially I was daunted by the prospect of taking full responsibility of it, but now - with care - I seem to manage Ok on my own. Its abit quicker with two, but 1 person can handle it.

‘Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant buy kwikstage over other scaffolding brands. I have no intention of renting. 

8 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

one reason is because its easy  to erect  

where as scaffolding tubing and clamps etc requires  you to  have had a meccano set when you were a boy or girl .LOL

Se post #2. A scaffold tower is a one trick pony. Kwickstage is anything from a simple tower to full blown whole house scaffold.

And towers, particularly aluminium ones, will likely cost a lot more than the same amount of Kwikstage.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What I don t really understand is why Kwikstage is so popular when there are far superior systems like Layher  (or Plettac)

which are really not even more expensive. Just not that widely available . I just dont really get why it s not used more widely.

I never seen these Oldschool Tube Scaffolding (the regular Scaffolding system used) either before I came to the UK.

46 minutes ago, Patrick said:

What I don t really understand is why Kwikstage is so popular when there are far superior systems like Layher  (or Plettac)

which are really not even more expensive. Just not that widely available . I just dont really get why it s not used more widely.

I never seen these Oldschool Tube Scaffolding (the regular Scaffolding system used) either before I came to the UK.

You just answered your own question. It's cheaper and more widely available.

Not many sets for sale and none of the usual scaffolding sites have any prices listed which doesn't usually bode well. Found these 2 entries on eBay.

So you can get close to twice the amount for £1k less with kwikstage. 

Screenshot_2019-07-11-21-54-23-309_com.android.chrome.png

Screenshot_2019-07-11-21-52-27-335_com.android.chrome.png

On 13/06/2019 at 17:06, AnonymousBosch said:

Why rent scaffold that's subject to regulation

Can I ask what you mean by this? 

As a self builder with your own scaffolding what steps should one take to make your installation safe, insurance compatible?

1 hour ago, jfb said:

Can I ask what you mean by this? 

As a self builder with your own scaffolding what steps should one take to make your installation safe, insurance compatible?

If any thing should happen on your job and the accident involves the scaffolding the question that will be asked was who erected the scaffolding. Then it will be how competent where they as in are they a trained and qualified scaffolding person with all the up to date tickets. If you threw it up and never seen a scaffolding pole before you started the self build then your insurance will more than likely walk away leaving you in a world of shat.

However if it's just going to be you on the scaffolding then most people, me included, just fire away. All your doing is rolling the dice and hope you don't get caught out.