Got the bug!

Rogersp

Hi All

Great forum.

After many years of thinking about we're about to take the plunge. House will be on the market in a few months and we'll rent a place while we look for a plot to self build.

As I'm retired I want to be able to live on the ground floor so will design the house to accommodate this in the future. Our plan is a 1.5 story SIP shell with a block and K render skin. I hope to engage a builder who will completed the foundations for the SIP supplier to erect the shell then they can complete the roof along with the block work and the utility services etc.

As I have some experience in the trade I'm hoping the builder will accommodate me utilising members of my family to complete rendering, plastering, electrics, heating etc. My only concern is the complexities of Health and Safety if contractors are not appointed by the builder? Just reading up on this on this but if anyone has any advice please do respond.

Also looking for a recommended SIP supplier but struggling and speaking to local builder they look at me as though I've lost the plot talking about and OSB insulated frame.

I'll keep you posted.