Marking screed

Pocster

2 hours ago, pocster said:

i did take loads of photos with a tape measure in the floor

This is what I did in case I needed to fix anything to the floor, luckily I have not had to.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 13/06/2019 at 15:02, joe90 said:

I ran pipes in insulation through the walls and it made it easier to install.

Did you drill through the walls? We have concrete blocks for structural inner walls. Finished floor level exactly at top of a block. Awkward to get UFH pipes through that.

How is it usually done?

25 minutes ago, WWilts said:

How is it usually done?

Not sure it’s usual but (at the advise of the heating guru on this site), I drilled 25mm holes in the blockwork walls level with the top of the insulation before it was laid, after laying the insulation pushed a length of overflow pipe about 300mm long through each hole and threaded the UFH pipe through that, saved congestion of pipes through doorways and gave more direct routes for some pipes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jilly said:

I'm thinking of putting a larger manifold for a future extension, any tips on how to place something for the future pipes? I'm thinking some kind of hockey stick thing?

Connect future pipe to the ports now, run it through the existing floor to a point where you can excavate a little to expose the ends, and just cap end them for the immediate. Use straight connectors to join back onto the pipes in the floor at a later date. FYI the fittings for 16mm UFH pipe are ridiculously good quality and I have put plenty of the joints in to repair damaged pipes / alter previously installed jobs where I've had to correct, etc etc, and they just do not leak. Put 9mm foam insulation onto these runs to preserve the heat in the flow pipes, and then a bit on the end of the return too, where the cap ends are, to keep the pipe and fitting in top condition. You do NOT want to screed these in and then damage them when you come to dig them out at a later date ;) 

Don't forget to run a cable in a conduit to the same point also to extend and connect to the additional room thermostat(s) in the new extension.

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don't forget to run a cable in a conduit to the same point also to extend and connect to the additional room thermostat(s) in the new extension.

Can't that just be a bit of UFH pipe capped off under the floor?

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Can't that just be a bit of UFH pipe capped off under the floor?

Not big enough. Go poke a bit of 3-core 1mm down the inside of a 16mm pipe and see what you’ve got to play with. You’d not get a draw tape and a flex down that boyo ? let alone 2 cables for 2 stats. 

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not big enough. Go poke a bit of 3-core 1mm down the inside of a 16mm pipe and see what you’ve got to play with. You’d not get a draw tape and a flex down that boyo ? let alone 2 cables for 2 stats. 

I'm thinking floor stat probe thingy!

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Only usually required with electric UFH / UTH ;) 

Floor stat probe I always thought was rubbish even with wet ufh . Temp at the floor has no relevance to temp in the room . I have sensors in the ceilings of each room and use that to adjust ufh . But as I’m a complete amateur that could all be a pile of ?. But it’s my ?. My ? is better than everyone else’s ? 

Edited by pocster

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Floor stat probe I always thought was rubbish even with wet ufh . Temp at the floor has no relevance to temp in the room . I have sensors in the ceilings of each room and use that to adjust ufh . But as I’m a complete amateur that could all be a pile of ?. But it’s my ?. My ? is better than everyone else’s ? 

No ? Sherlock ?

• Thanks 1