Blown wood fibre versus blown cellulose

davidc

I am trying to decide between these two for wall and roof insulation. I asked one supplier (who offers both types - Steico Zell and Steico Floc) for a comparison and the response was that wood fibre (at density ~40kg/m^3) is more resistant to slumping than cellulose (at ~60kg/m^3) but as they both have similar heat capacities then the cellulose, on account of the higher density, will have better decrement delay. Frustratingly they only have airflow resistance figures available for the cellulose version and not the wood fibre.

Does any one else have any thing more to add on how the two compare ?

Edited by davidc

Looked at both. Very similar product in terms of behaviour. WOOD is more expensive by approx. 30% and also depends if your installer can do it (if you ordering through an installer, mind that they might also charge a premium since they are doing wood blown in, which is a  "greener product")

I would stick to Cellulose as its proofen and tested + a bit cheaper and I can't see Steico Blown in wood fibre being that much better to make up for it.

Their response was "the Zell will still have better anti slump because of its composition and it also goes in less dense as per above figures (on average)". Which, on my reading, implies the opposite of what i had assumed/expected !

Edited by davidc