Is Theresa May a member of build hub?

Watching the evening news and they did a feature on Theresa May legacy projects. Hoping to get through with her last gasps is the climate change bill.

They focused on the house of the future the so called ‘eco house’ (don’t you just hate that expression)......they showed off the big 3g windows, the walls thick with insulation and then the very clever system that kept the house warm with no central heating.....known to us Buildhubbers as MVHR of course!

We are all living the dream, well the TM dream anyway, in our eco houses. The rest of the country may soon start to catch up if she gets her bill through....for those that have not started work yet worth keeping an eye out for the incentives that are bound to come too.

`Just for a moment, lets suppose she were.....?

TM: Well Ian , I see the foundations on your house  are strong and stable - you must be very pleased...

@AnonymousBosch : Yes, Tess, they were designed by an Irish company based in Cork - I had to cross the border many times to visit them - of course it'll be less easy to visit post Brexit... I'll need a visa - and taking my dog with me will be a no no wont it? 

TM: Oh but you can source those skills in the Uk  cant you?

@AnonymousBosch Maybe. But tell me this, Tess : look at my house , those ICF blocks are very efficient at keeping me warm - they've been used in Europe since just after  the Second World War. Why haven't you encouraged  the building sector to insulate - it would save everyone money and the planet at the same time.

TM: well Ian, you should know by now that my priority was, always has and always will be saving the Conservative Party , bugger the planet frankly. And anyway David Davies has told me that there's a directorship at JCB waiting for me. It'll be like old times, me Dave and some old Party chums ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sometimes MPs do build or live in innovative houses.

I can think of a couple of examples.

I am not sure I can think of a long list of well-informed MPs or Lords at present.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

8 hours ago, lizzie said:

for those that have not started work yet worth keeping an eye out for the incentives that are bound to come too.

There's the rub. We're about to tender a deep retrofit to EnerPHit standard. I'm already looking at a large 5 figure VAT bill for this work, vs someone up the road demolishing and rebuilding a perfectly good mansion to mere building regs gets to do that VAT free. I'd much rather retrofit for a number of reasons, finances aside, but the current regime makes it very hard to justify, and doubly so if like us the house has a backlog of internal neglected maintenance that we are including and will also be VAT free if rolled into a rebuild.

The idea that we might do all this, and then find we miss out on a substantial new incentive by being "too green too early" introduces more doubt we should be doing this project at all. So now I find perverse reassurance that BJ will be elected and will put a stop to all this eco nonsense anyway.

It ain't easy being green.

3 minutes ago, joth said:

There's the rub. We're about to tender a deep retrofit to EnerPHit standard. I'm already looking at a large 5 figure VAT bill for this work, vs someone up the road demolishing and rebuilding a perfectly good mansion to mere building regs gets to do that VAT free. I'd much rather retrofit for a number of reasons, finances aside, but the current regime makes it very hard to justify, and doubly so if like us the house has a backlog of internal neglected maintenance that we are including and will also be VAT free if rolled into a rebuild.

The idea that we might do all this, and then find we miss out on a substantial new incentive by being "too green too early" introduces more doubt we should be doing this project at all. So now I find perverse reassurance that BJ will be elected and will put a stop to all this eco nonsense anyway.

It ain't easy being green.

FWIW, when we had our house valued the valuer knocked 5% off the assessed value because it was an "eco house" (I hate that term too, but am stuck with it).  The logic he applied was that a well-insulated home that lacked normal central heating etc would put off some buyers, so decreasing the value.

31 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

FWIW, when we had our house valued the valuer knocked 5% off the assessed value because it was an "eco house"

I had 20% knocked off because I live in the ex-industrial wasteland that is the horror of Cornwall.

• Haha 2