How to 'handle' lots of living room space?

It's quite popular to have a massive family space with open plan kitchen (money permitting..) So much room for activities!..

But honestly, while I want a large room, many architects and/or interior designers make me feel the space is more squash court with some sparsely scattered pieces of furniture.

4HughesUmbanhowarArchitects_BakersBay.jpg.20a31400b4ef040332d6f7a198a53c16.jpg

(of course I picked an extreme example)

What are techniques to make the family space a bit more 'cozy'? Dividers? Staircases in the middle of the room? Big statement furniture? Height differences?

high-altitude-style-living-room-072518.jpg.36cbb16897b1208cde285a8f24a266c5.jpg

All of the above?

lots of options:

• ceiling heights
  • floor levels
  • flooring (including rugs)
  • wall colours
  • lighting
  • windows
  • A fireplace/stove and chimney could  separate two zones
  • Shelving or a non full height/width wall 

We have gone for a double height space in the middle of the open plan space which is the dining space (family area to the left, kitchen to the right)

Also the boundary of the kitchen is marked by dark grey island and boundary of living room will be marked by dark grey sofa

Edited by ultramods

IMO it is in how you break it up and use it for different things.

It also needs to be a social space that works in your setting. Consider what you do together and apart, in the same room and separate, and use that to work out what you actually need.

Personally I am not a fan of different levels, as it inhibits frail people and wheelchair users.

And get a cat or two.

Also, there is massive and useful and overblown status symbol. The latter can tip over the line into less practical, and you end up with a modern take on an absurdist Jacques Tati movie. You still need to do the same activities and roles  you did before, and life is supposed to be easier after we have built our ideal home.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Personal taste and all that but I've never really wanted cozy. If I had the money I would be aiming for something like this, piano makes it too cluttered though ? 

AC.jpg

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ultramods said:

lots of options:

• ceiling heights
  • floor levels
  • wall colours
  • lighting
  • windows

We have gone for a double height space in the middle of the open plan space which is the dining space (family area to the left, kitchen to the right)

Also the boundary of the kitchen is marked by dark grey island and boundary of living room will be marked by dark grey sofa

Any pictures of suchlike, or photos of 'similar places' that inspired you?

11 hours ago, Ralph said:

Personal taste and all that but I've never really wanted cozy. If I had the money I would be aiming for something like this, piano makes it too cluttered though ? 

AC.jpg

But where would you attache the volleyball net?

14 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Any pictures of suchlike, or photos of 'similar places' that inspired you?

I will post some photos on Sunday once I have the open plan space looking a bit more finished. 

Have you used houzz before? I really like it as you can filter photos on lots of different types of criteria. 

7 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I will post some photos on Sunday once I have the open plan space looking a bit more finished. 

Have you used houzz before? I really like it as you can filter photos on lots of different types of criteria. 

Yeah I go there a lot, it's just that for most pictures they don't list the "thoughts behind it". 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2019 at 22:25, ultramods said:

lots of options:

• ceiling heights
  • floor levels
  • wall colours
  • lighting
  • windows

Some illustrated examples of several of these here:

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/how-to-make-your-open-plan-room-feel-cosy-stsetivw-vs~117035447