Ceiling Heights - different from 2.4m

is it sensible and/or difficult to build rooms with ceiling heights that are different from 2.4m,  I understand that this is the standard length of plasterboard, but I was looking for a slightly higher room height of 2.6m?

It's quicker and therefore cheaper if you don't have to cut boards. You can get 2700mm plasterboard though - easy enough to cut off 100mm, although why not go for 2700mm high ceilings if your rooms are big enough to handle it?

As for whether it's worth doing the extra height, I personally think a bit of extra height helps, especially in larger rooms. We have 2850 ceilings downstairs and I think it makes things feel very spacious.

Thanks for the replies.  I was doing a quick search on boards and only came up with 2.4m so that's great to know.  We're looking for higher ceilings but just might have to dig down a bit to stop the house getting too tall.

I used 2.7s as for some daft reason I decided to go with a nom 2470mm floor to ceiling height! Meant wasting nearly 300mm. Idiot, I should have dropped the new joists lower. Could have avoided those rips by the ceiling, took forever.

20190602_202248

Higher ceilings are really important in large open plan areas that are the fashion. The bigger the room, the higher the ceilings should be. We're going with 2.7m in most spaces and vaulted on the first floor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I used 2.7s as for some daft reason I decided to go with a nom 2470mm floor to ceiling height! Meant wasting nearly 300mm. Idiot, I should have dropped the new joists lower. Could have avoided those rips by the ceiling, took forever.

20190602_202248

Oops Should have bought 2.5 boards 

11 hours ago, Conor said:

Higher ceilings are really important in large open plan areas that are the fashion. The bigger the room, the higher the ceilings should be. We're going with 2.7m in most spaces and vaulted on the first floor.

This is exactly right. large open plan rooms can feel really low with a 2.4 ceiling. we used 2.7 downstairs and 2.4 upstairs which worked really well. We have a vaulted ceiling with roof light over the stairs so there is no obvious transition from going from the ground floor with high ceilings to upstairs with lower ones.

Well I am well known for being differerent We have standard 2440mm ceilings downstairs, but it's the bedrooms where one gets the full vaulted ceiling with a mezanine, and the other gets a 3M partly vaulted ceiling (so we at least have a small loft space above for storage)

I have 2600mm ceilings downstairs and cathedral ceilings upstairs. I think the extra height is well worth it. Just the bathroom and en-suite have standard ceilings which give me a small amount of storage space.