Mrs S

Demolition Costs

How much would you expect an estimate for demolition of a small stone built cottage approx 60 sqm? We are reusing most of the stone and the slate roof.

The local guy has just quoted us £17,500 and that’s only for demolition and not for removal of any excess materials.

We think it’s on the high side and would like to benchmark it with others

Thanks

I paid £3k for demolition of a110m2 bungalow plus garage and 3 outhouses in 2014. Included cartaway, we kept nothing so they were just able to bulldoze it. Took 1 man 4 days to complete.

Asbestos survey and removal were separate.

Bloody hell, a mate just paid £6000 for a 250m detached brick house, no materials removed from site

you need to get it itemised and specify what you actually need, are there any footings to be pulled out from the ground. 

Any asbestos ??

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Bloody hell, a mate just paid £6000 for a 250m detached brick house, no materials removed from site

you need to get it itemised and specify what you actually need, are there any footings to be pulled out from the ground. 

Any asbestos ??

We had done a rough guess of costs using “the bible” and were gobsmacked when we got the figure in.

No asbestos, no founds, just an earth floor- very traditional farmhands cottage.

This sum was on top of what he wants to charge for our services prior to siting a caravan on site!!

11 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Is he charging a day rate and dismantling the house by hand?

You would think so, at this amount!!

30 minutes ago, Mrs S said:

This sum was on top of what he wants to charge for our services prior to siting a caravan on site!!

How much is he asking for that?

23 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Wow. Is this him?

image.png.0a027d04190061d833cb01ad68515938.png

No, I seen him:

st-paulis-faeuste-b30eb0c1-4121-459c-913

even though he's going to have to strip the roof to re-use the slates and presumably sort the stone, guessing stone and rubble construction it still seems high. we were quoted £1400 transport and siting for caravan.

I demolished our old bungalow myself, it’s not that difficult, I even made money out of the scrap, around £2k.

I’d suggest you talk to the locals and find someone with a machine to do the work for an agreed price, steer clear of the guy whose given you the quotes, he clearly sees you as a cash machine. 

Have you checked the quality of the slates before paying money to save them?

Edited by Alexphd1

@Mrs S we ended up demolishing our bungalow ourselves, more by accident than design, but it was pretty easy and a lot of fun. We got the scrap value for all the metal, Crital windows, copper pipe, lead flashing, electric cable etc. We gave the run of the mill tiles away which was quite difficult because no one wanted them. We kept all the timber and spent probably around 4K getting shot of the rubble and spoil after a little mini digger had pushed what remained of the bungalow down. 

Asbestos was was a separate issue...

Our demolition (3 bed bungalow) came in at £11K last summer and included removal of everything including the original footings.  We chose to salvage about 400 bricks - at some point I plan to build something in the garden.

The asbestos removal was £19K in addition (and went up by £10K during the removal as they kept finding more of it).

Killed alot our contingency before we'd even started. 🙁

8 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Have you checked the quality of the slates before paying money to save them?

They are sound, the previous owners were in the process of redeveloping the cottage to use, and the roof was one of the first things for them to do

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Triassic said:

I demolished our old bungalow myself, it’s not that difficult, I even made money out of the scrap, around £2k.

I’d suggest you talk to the locals and find someone with a machine to do the work for an agreed price, steer clear of the guy whose given you the quotes, he clearly sees you as a cash machine. 

Thanks, this guy is the local groundsman that everyone uses. He was also the most expensive bid when we were quoted for turnkey- hence we decided to split the jobs up and sub them out. I think he’s coming it as he used a QS to quote for the demolition, and we live overseas at the moment, so I think he thinks we are loaded- I wish!!

We May demolish the cottage ourselves, but we still need services connected up before we get back so we have somewhere to live.

I think he’s put an extra zero on the quote in error....

hand stripping that roof should take a couple of guys 2-3 days, rest should be gone in less than a week. 

Beautiful location though !! 

what are you replacing it with ?

you sure that stone is going to be that  usable  in a new build

1 hour ago, Mrs S said:

We May demolish the cottage ourselves, but we still need services connected up before we get back so we have somewhere to live.

At those prices it would be cheaper for you to do nothing until you’re back in the UK. Rent locally for six months and manage or do the work whilst on site. 

The slate is lovely but I think its already reclaimed so you are going to have a % of breakage removing them. It will not be enough for your new roof so you are tied to buying slate to match (best of your ability) and this could be expensive! Again with your stone i don't think you will get a lot out of it and will be tied to reclaimed stone to match which again is expensive.

We used a cut/facing 100mm stone quarried from your neck of the woods denfind stone and stonemasons (ss stonework you will find the on facebook) from edzell, maybe worth speaking to the stonemasons for the reclaimed stone? 

7 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

The slate is lovely but I think its already reclaimed so you are going to have a % of breakage removing them. It will not be enough for your new roof so you are tied to buying slate to match (best of your ability) and this could be expensive! Again with your stone i don't think you will get a lot out of it and will be tied to reclaimed stone to match which again is expensive.

We used a cut/facing 100mm stone quarried from your neck of the woods denfind stone and stonemasons (ss stonework you will find the on facebook) from edzell, maybe worth speaking to the stonemasons for the reclaimed stone? 

Save the slate for a garage, shed, sauna, or path.