Magpies pulling silicone out from around PVC window frames!

Prof Tim Noakes

I don't know why they do this - crows and rooks are better known for this kind of behaviour but usually attack rubber seals and wiper blades etc.

Any thoughts on the best, magpie unfriendly, alternative to silicone for sealing around PVC frames? (The rubber seals around the glass are ignored by the magpies although they peck the glass occasionally.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, corvids are exceptionally intelligent, and may have initially been rewarded by pecking insects and are now finding this to be enormous fun! Apparently aluminium ammonium sulphate can be used as a bitter tasting deterrent. I assume they were initially drawn to the windows by their reflection, its very common for birds to get fixated around mating time as they become territorial, and this may have something to do with it. If this is part of it and you can stop the reflections for a while it may extinguish the behaviour. I know a bird behaviour expert on FB, so will ask there for more suggestions. 

Sorry, I know nothing about silicone....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

Hi there, corvids are exceptionally intelligent

I reckon they must be intelligent but dyslexic Magpies, they read his post and wanted to demonstrate their preference for ITV children's programming. "Go with Noakes, that will learn him, squawk squawk".

• Like 2

I've come across some (quite old) advice that polysulphide sealant isn't liked by birds. Polysulphide's largely fallen out of use now though - any thoughts on magpies and polysulphide's more modern replacements like polyurethane, modified and hybrid polymers and modified silane? (Polysulphide sealant is still available.)