Experiences with larch and cedar cladding

It provides for a much higher tolerance to mistakes and also to movement in the timber. Hence why it was used for centuries. If the board on board shrinks or moves by a few mm, the wall is still covered since they overlap by 10mm or more.

With T&G if you are unlucky it will open up gaps again. This will most likely not happen if you buy high quality T&G timber cladding. But you pay a premium price for that. Board on board or board and batten  is essentially just what it says. Boards. No need to go to a "cladding supplier". A good quality board from a sawmill or timber supplies will do just fine. And that is a lot cheaper than whatever they sell you as cladding . Is mainly a question of

A:Style you want

B:money you can/want to invest Into cladding.

• 1 year later...
On 19/06/2019 at 18:39, lizzie said:

I have just noticed today that my larch is starting to ‘weather’ over a year on.  The Silvalbp coating is doing what they say.  Shame really as I loved it ‘new’.

What is interesting is that I have a bench in a very exposed part of the garden.  Seat made of left over Silvalbp larch.  Been there about 9 months so much less than that on the house.

The larch on the bench has gone a beautiful silver colour almost without me noticing it changing.  The house larch which is more sheltered is a long way behind on the weathering when you compare the two.

Photos don't really show it that well.

79940BE0-C580-4F32-89DF-53EC630B355F.jpeg

00CBAFCA-91D5-4F2A-9CDD-4B01172BBFDD.jpeg

Hi Lizzie

Do you have any photos 1 more year on of how the house cladding is weathering?

Has the new age gris been successful in avoiding any black spots forming?

Thank you!