Is this a reasonable quote?

patp

Self Build Zone have been recommended as the best to use for the site insurance and 10 year Structural Warranty.

They have quoted, on our 189 sq m bungalow, £1086 for the site insurance and £2173 for the 10 year warranty.

I have seen, elsewhere, doubts about needing the 10 year warranty if we are going to live in it but we will need the Building Control side of it I assume?

I presume site insurance is for 12 months? If so its seams a decent quote.

I think the 10 year warranty is needed for a morgatge (nothing to do with build control), also think of if you sell within 10 years and the buyer needs a morgatge they will need a warranty up to 10 years from build completion. We didnt bother with the warranty. 

46 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

I presume site insurance is for 12 months? If so its seams a decent quote.

I think the 10 year warranty is needed for a morgatge (nothing to do with build control), also think of if you sell within 10 years and the buyer needs a morgatge they will need a warranty up to 10 years from build completion. We didnt bother with the warranty. 

Yes it is for site insurance.

We do not need a mortgage (hopefully!) as we are selling existing house and we already own the land. Not planning on selling. My worry is that we are getting on a bit and you never know if you need to move nearer to family or whatever??

You need to look at the site insurance 

There will be things in there that you don’t need 

Such as tools and plant insurance for contractors 

Which bumps the premium up 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am paying about £550 pa for site insurance via Build Store. And I thought that was expensive.

Mine was around that figure once I had eliminated the extra insured items that did not apply to my self build.

• Like 1

I had a similar quote from Build Store and went back in to the quotes and tried to eliminate items not needed but could not achieve anything better. On talking to a representative it seems my pessimistic forecast of a two year time scale for the project (what do I know?) was causing problems with the public liability side of the quotes. I could not drop the cover for plant that I did not need either.

I gave Protek a call as their website was not helpful (£1.86 for 12 month site insurance!) unlike their representative who retrieved the quote and sorted it all out with a quote of £436 for 12 months or £544 for a 15 month policy.

Am I being pessimistic on the build timetable for a 189 sq m bungalow? I live with a very laid back husband who does not move as quickly as I think he should and I am sure that we will be constantly playing catch up due to this trait. I envisage scenarios like "ok I have finished that - can you order the materials now for the next stage" type conversations :) :)

33 minutes ago, patp said:

I gave Protek a call as their website was not helpful (£1.86 for 12 month site insurance!) unlike their representative who retrieved the quote and sorted it all out with a quote of £436 for 12 months or £544 for a 15 month policy.

Their web site does exhibit some strange numeric behaviour when non typical quantities are fed into the premium calculation routines. I investigated green-field only public liability via the Protek web site using a house size of 1 m2 and build cost of £1 and it quoted a similar premium.  

• Like 1

We received quotes from buildstore and Protek. The Protek ones came in much cheaper and they offered a price match so went back to Buildstore and asked if they could price match (they are currently looking into  it for both site insurance and warranty) so  may be worthwhile doing the same. Our Protek site insurance quote came in at £895.

• Like 1

Got a quote online yesterday.... £1500 for 18months. They did ask me a load of extra questions as I've demolition, deep excavation, retaining wall and basement. They won't cover the demolition unfortunately.

• Like 2