Can I wire a plug to a internal circulating pump?

gravelld

Going to get one of these: https://www.anchorpumps.com/grundfos-ups-15-50n-130-hot-water-service-circulator-240v

I understand this comes without a plug. However I'd like to wire a plug so I can just use one of my smart plugs to turn it on and off.

Is this permitted? And if so, how do I do it?

Max current is 0.23A. Wiring diagram looks simple enough!

https://product-selection.grundfos.com/product-detail.product-detail.html?custid=GMA&productnumber=97549426&qcid=544221119

Ah the art of wiring a plug top.  Someting I learned at about the age of 8.  

A "skill" not taught to today's children because everything comes with a plug on, and you don't "need" to do it.

Progress.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A "skill" not taught to today's children because everything comes with a plug on, and you don't "need" to do it.

Progress.

I can very clearly remember my mother teaching me to wire a plug when I probably about 8 or 9 years old.  "Always remember, "red on the right" and make sure the earth wire is longer than the others".  I still think of it whenever I wire a plug up now, nearly 60 years later (and even though the colours are now different).

• Like 1

Yes it is one of those situations where, because a few people could not wire a plug safely, it was decided none of us should ever wire a plug again.

So it is a skill not taught any more, so you can pretty much guarantee that a much higher percentage of self wired plugs now are done badly.

As I say, this is the sort of "progress" I despise.

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Me too, by my old man. Back when plugs were scarce and you'd be swapping them from one appliance to another.

Got my worst belt ever aged about 9 or 10. I wanted a plug for my new, first soldering iron. Think it was an SR Brewster rather than Antex. (Up until then I'd been heating one up with a blowlamp).

I lost the cover screw so replaced with an ELASTIC BAND. Months later the perished rubber gave way as I was taking the plug out.....I flew back across my bedroom into the wall.

:ph34r:

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I can very clearly remember my mother teaching me to wire a plug when I probably about 8 or 9 years old.  "Always remember, "red on the right" and make sure the earth wire is longer than the others".  I still think of it whenever I wire a plug up now, nearly 60 years later (and even though the colours are now different).

Funnily enough my mother couldn’t wire a plug, my father died when I was 21 and on visiting my mother a short time later I found she had bought something which required a plug, she said I’ll need to get your brother to put the plug on, she was totally amazed and somewhat unsure when I said I would do it!

Perhaps worth mentioning the correct way to wire a plug?

For those who've not wired one, then, looking at the plug with the top off, the brown wire goes to the (line) fuse terminal on the right, the blue wire goes to the left (neutral) pin terminal and the green and yellow wire goes to the top (earth) pin terminal.  Only strip the wires back just enough to fit the terminals, and if the flex is thin, then twist it and double it over, making sure no loose strands poke out of the terminal.  For enhanced safety, try to make the green and yellow wire slightly longer, so that if the cable grip fails and the cable is tugged, the earth wire will be the last wire to come free.  Always make sure that the cable grip is tightly clamped on the outer insulation of the flex, not the individual cores.

5 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Funnily enough my mother couldn’t wire a plug, my father died when I was 21 and on visiting my mother a short time later I found she had bought something which required a plug, she said I’ll need to get your brother to put the plug on, she was totally amazed and somewhat unsure when I said I would do it!

My father was completely technically illiterate.  He never even learned to drive, and was hopeless with anything practical.  My mother was the one that did all the decorating, drove a car (and stripped and repaired it when needed) and fixed stuff like our bikes.  My father was incredibly good at mental arithmetic, though, and could do pretty complex sums almost instantly, without needing to write anything down.