A sparky's opinion, please. Quickwire

ToughButterCup

39 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Wago do a  fairly big range of surface mount brackets for holding most of their connector types, but the usual suspects don't seem to stock them for some reason.  I made up a box with about a dozen of these brackets fixed in a line, when I was wiring up the water treatment plant shed.  Made for a neat installation.  The only place I found that stocked them was Farnell: https://uk.farnell.com/c/connectors/terminal-blocks-accessories/terminal-block-accessories?brand=wago&accessory-type=mounting-carrier

Ignore the IMDB Jaws link at the end of my post!

15 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

That is neat. Can you get big versions of that box, like with space for over one hundred 3-way connectors, rather than just five?

If you were going to that qty I would spec up an enclosure with DIN rail(s) and use Din rail mount terminals to make a really neat and easily inspected and tested panel.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-fused-din-rail-terminals/5076535/

people2.jpg.62cd86f9b9fef0b6c875d6c2e562b03a.jpg

Edited by Carrerahill

5 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I see there's nothing for a 1.5mm LED lighting wire. That doesn't matter does it?

That’s that maximum size on the Wago - it will take less. 

The ones on the bottom right are good - they take a T&E solid core to one side and then you can push down and put a flexible cable in the other. 

5 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I see there's nothing for a 1.5mm LED lighting wire. That doesn't matter does it?

The 222-41n things are listed as 28 to 12 AWG which translates as 0.0810 mm² to 3.31 mm² or, more sensibly, 1 to 2.5 mm2. Interesting that they show up to 4 mm² here.

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

FWIW the ones I keep boxes of are 773s and 224s.  773s will pretty much cover most rigid wire connection requirements in everyday stuff and 224s are useful for connecting rigid wire to flex.

Funny but I have boxes of both of those but prefer the 222’s as sometimes when you have a lot of connections together it can be easier to move things about to tidy up and then put the more permanent connections in. I also like the Wago junction boxes as they keep things nice and tidy. 

First and last digits of the second group seem to be meaningful: first digit is 1 for 2.5mm², 4 for 4mm² and 6 for 6mm², last digit is number of ways. First digit of first group is 2 for clamp and 7 for push. I don't doubt there's more to it than I've extrapolated from a small sample.

What's the point of the 224-101 (1 x 2.5mm²)? All I can think of is terminating the earth in a plastic light switch or ceiling rose which isn't loop in/out.

36 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

What's the point of the 224-101 (1 x 2.5mm²)? All I can think of is terminating the earth in a plastic light switch or ceiling rose which isn't loop in/out.

They take a solid core wire one side and a stranded core the other side.  The solid core pushes in and locks, and the stranded core is fitted by squeezing the lever down, inserting the wire and then letting go so it grips.  They are ideal for wiring lights, where you have a bit of 1mm² or 1.5mm² solid wire that needs to connect to a stranded wire that is connected to the light fitting.

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Don't you lot spell it arbeitary? 

Arbeit - ja, schon..... Quatschkopf bist Du....

====================================

Here's the answer folks;

Most of our product series follow some logic with their product numbers.

E.g. 221-412

4 = 4mm (the maximum cable size the connector will take)

2 = 2 pole connector

However, other series follow a different pattern.

E.g. 2002-1201

2 = 2.5mm2 (the maximum cable size the connector will take with a  ferrule)

1 = Number of levels – in this case a single level

2 = Number of conductors it will connect

1 = colour reference (1 = grey, 4 = blue, 7 = green/yellow)

It isn’t something that is in our catalogues, as it does differ with each series.

Are there any product series you were wanting more information on?

Best regards

Jennifer Brady

Assistant Product Manager

phone:  +44 1788 568-008

fax:       +44 1788 568-050

<<mailto:jennifer.brady@wago.com>>

WAGO Limited

Triton Park

Swift Valley Ind. Est.

Rugby

Warwickshire

CV21 1SG