A sparky's opinion, please. Quickwire

ToughButterCup

I'm drawn to things which compensate for my weakened hands. Bumping into Quickwire connectors for lighting circuits caught my attention, therefore.

Yes, they are expensive. But, together with one of those automatic  wire strippers, I stand a chance of making good, workman-like joins. It's an expense that I just have to ignore.

@Onoff, @ProDave, @JSHarris, @Construction Channel, what do you think?

You most probably won't have much need for many (if any) maintenance free junctions.  There are none in our installation, for example.  When I've had to use one in the past I've used a Wagobox and Wagos, as they are cheap and the Wagos are probably the most useful general connector around. 

This is a Wagobox: https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-junction-box/7355f

and this is a typical Wago connector (there are several variations): https://www.screwfix.com/p/4-way-push-wire-connector-773-series-pack-of-100/27374

No sorry I don't like that.

NO access to any of the terminals to perform any testing, so when something stops working, almost impossible to tell where the fault is.

Stick with traditional terminals or wago's and do all you can to avoid inaccessible junctions.  I prefer wiring lighting circuits "loop at switch" so all the junctions are accessible at a nice working height.  You can use wago's or screw terminals in the back of a switch box.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks. Wago it is then.

Ian

The Wago lever connectors are superb imo. Wires retained forever but so easily removable. The Wago push connectors are also great and theoretically the wires can be removed by twisting them. Can be a bit tricky.

Look out for the little T lugs you screw to the joist etc to hang the Wago box from.

Not a bad idea to start off with the £15 ish starter box from Screwfix. 

TLC etc sell them individually. Last time I looked at S'fix they only did them in packs of 50 etc.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

[...] S'fix they only did them in packs of 50 etc.

I soon lost count of how many I'd need, so 50 will be a good starting point.

4 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Watch how a Wago copes with 150 amps or a 5x rated overload.

You sayin' I could arrange for 150 amps to go through a wire eh, pal? You over estimate me - vastly.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

NO access to any of the terminals to perform any testing, so when something stops working, almost impossible to tell where the fault is.

Good point. Similarly, what struck me from the video was that there was no way to inspect that the wires had been inserted properly, not got line and neutral swapped, etc.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I prefer wiring lighting circuits "loop at switch" so all the junctions are accessible at a nice working height.  You can use wago's or screw terminals in the back of a switch box.

Me too.  I fitted deep back boxes for all the light switches, just to make it easier to fit the loop-in-switch wires and wagos.  Twice I've had reason to be thankful for that decision when I've shifted lights around. 

26 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Me too.  I fitted deep back boxes for all the light switches, just to make it easier to fit the loop-in-switch wires and wagos.  Twice I've had reason to be thankful for that decision when I've shifted lights around.

Trying to visualize this. Putting aside the exact circuit details do the Wago bits just sit loose at the back of the deep wall box?

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Trying to visualize this. Putting aside the exact circuit details do the Wago bits just sit loose at the back of the deep wall box?

Yes, I just used Wago 773s tucked into the back of the boxes.  Using a deep box just gives a bit more room to work in.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

To neaten things up, if you're really anal, you can get carriers to save the Wagos floating about. Meant to clip to a DIN rail but I've screwed them to other things:

https://www.connexbox.com/din-rail-mounted-connector-carrier-5pcs.html

You also get their bigger connection boxes:

https://www.connexbox.com/wagobox-xl-junction-box-in-grey-for-use-with-wago-2273-and-221-terminals.html

Even a Wago wiring centre.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, I just used Wago 773s tucked into the back of the boxes.  Using a deep box just gives a bit more room to work in.

Ok thanks. I assume you would not have done this if the Wago connectors rattle at the back of the box each time the switch is flicked?

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ok thanks. I assume you would not have done this if the Wago connectors rattle at the back of the box each time the switch is flicked?

There is no vibration and the wago will be held pretty secure by the T&E core anyway so doubt you would hear it 

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

There's nothing to move in there, as there are no moving parts behind a switch.  Also, the wires are stiff enough to stay where they are put when folded into the box.

14 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

That is neat. Can you get big versions of that box, like with space for over one hundred 3-way connectors, rather than just five?

I don't believe so but you could make your own big system using  carriers e.g. 222-500. They're primarily for DIN rail mounting but I've screwed them into the raised plastic bosses of enclosures before

Edited by Onoff
Removed the IMDB Jaws link ?

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

No rattling with this Wago jb! Should satisfy any neat freaks...

Are the screw holes in that box designed to accept a light switch faceplate, or put another way does the Wago box function as a 1 gang wallbox?

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

I don't believe so but you could make your own big system using  carriers e.g. 222-500. They're primarily for DIN rail mounting but I've screwed them into the raised plastic bosses of enclosures before:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073195/

Wago do a  fairly big range of surface mount brackets for holding most of their connector types, but the usual suspects don't seem to stock them for some reason.  I made up a box with about a dozen of these brackets fixed in a line, when I was wiring up the water treatment plant shed.  Made for a neat installation.  The only place I found that stocked them was Farnell: https://uk.farnell.com/c/connectors/terminal-blocks-accessories/terminal-block-accessories?brand=wago&accessory-type=mounting-carrier