Inwards or outwards?

kxi

At the stage where we need window detailing, so to decide on outwards or inwards opening. Pros and cons of inwards opening seem to be:

Pros

1. Can have external shutters/blinds - may be a good hedge if solar gain ends up being more of a problem than anticipated
  2. Can have external insect mesh - seems unnecessary in SE England, but maybe more so in future?
  3. Easier to clean 
  4. Allegedly less likely to slam in the wind 
  5. Can more easily wrap insulation around outside of frame
  6. Greater range of high-performance windows
  7. Allegedly more likely to be airtight (products being equal)

Cons

1. Theoretically worse in wet climates since wind tries to push the window open when stormy, and the crucial external seal between frame & glass is a continually flexing & accessible one, i.e. more liable to wear out or get damaged 
  2. Harder to have internal blinds and shutters, but not impossible as you just don't put them in the reveal
  3. Can't put stuff on window cill if you want to open them, but can use the tilt and turn for ventilation anyway
  4. Impinges on internal space if fully open
  5. Can't as easily sit on windowsill with the window fully open (maybe you shouldn't)

But how valid is point 1 of the cons?

Seems lots of people here have inwards opening, has anyone ever experienced issues with the weather? 

Or anticipate a shorter lifespan due to seal damage?

Replacing the seal should in theory be possible, but likely as not in 20 years time the specific carefully designed strip won't be available?  

I have an inward opening door on the expose west end of our house. When the wind is blowing a hoolie and the rain is lashing on the door, a small amount of water gets in around the seal.  I wish THAT door had been outward opening.

I would not want an inward opening window for that reason alone.  I don't see why the direction of opening should affect things like blinds.

27 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Mine are inward opening I chose that deliberately,  The tilt opening is very useful for ventilation.

Ditto. Tilt is great, better from a security perspective and can leave open in rain. Nearly 3 years since install and no issues with seals.

I would not expect seal issues, inward opening is common in cooler European climates.

• Like 1

I’m a big convert to tilt and turn - think they are brilliant and really don’t see why they aren’t used more. In uPVC they have 3 seals anyway on the frames so wind and weather isn’t a problem. I think they also seem to seal better than a standard sash. 

• Like 1

Mine don't have any mechanism for fixing the tilt open....it's a single position and reliant on the weight of the window to 'hang' open.  In a light breeze they keep opening and closing of their own accord.  I haven't yet investigated solutions but for the long term it's intolerable, so i'd advise you check how any chosen manufacturer deals with this.

9 hours ago, mvincentd said:

Mine don't have any mechanism for fixing the tilt open....it's a single position and reliant on the weight of the window to 'hang' open.  In a light breeze they keep opening and closing of their own accord.  I haven't yet investigated solutions but for the long term it's intolerable, so i'd advise you check how any chosen manufacturer deals with this.

Same here. Bigger windows, in general, stay open better, but really tall ones can struggle because the inward tilt (which is fixed irrespective of window size) doesn't put the centre of mass of the window far over the pivot point. 

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't forget outward opening can also be of the "tilt" variety, outs tilt from the top and you can lock them open on a ventilation setting so you can get fresh air and still be secure.

But the rain comes in that way?

18 hours ago, PeterW said:

I’m a big convert to tilt and turn - think they are brilliant and really don’t see why they aren’t used more. In uPVC they have 3 seals anyway on the frames so wind and weather isn’t a problem. I think they also seem to seal better than a standard sash. 

Depends where you live! 

We have outward openers that are hinged on one side - they have a ventilation setting where the window is open half an inch but can be locked in place, and some outward opening reversible windows. No leaks or problems with them, and they get a battering in winter.

10 hours ago, jack said:

tall ones can struggle

Interesting, makes sense..my offenders are 1m wide x 2.3m high.

A further critique...don't know if this is all t&t or just IdealCombi...because of the multi-function job the hinges have to achieve they end up being less beefy, more complex and less optimally sited than on a bog standard door....so while my floor to ceiling T&T's do provide the experience of a door onto the garden, my fitter advised they do need treating with some consideration and care.  I find that whilst they are less prone to slamming from wind in the 'turn' than they are in the 'tilt' i'm equally reluctant to leave them turned open due to the greater available travel and subsequent brutality of slam.