Dormer bungalow extension

HI guys,

Due to a growing family we need to extend our current 3 bedroom dormer bungalow in to a larger house with hopefully a couple more bedrooms. I have attached a couple of pictures of the current layout of the upstairs of the house, and I have also attached a diagram of what we would like to have (as in preferred amount of bedrooms/bathrooms) as well as architect drawings of the property now from a kitchen extension we did a few years ago. The roof and current layout of the upstairs of the house has me a bit confused on how the extension would look/be built (Take off the whole roof and add a proper new first floor/ extend the roof back for a 'Mansard' style extension/ go with SIPS panels for the extension to save time rather than standard construction?) We would need to live in the property as the work would be going. I know I should be speaking with an architect but I thought I would get some ideas from the forum first, that way I can throw some ideas at the architect when we finally get round to taking the plunge and going for it. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Current Layout.png

Proposed Layout.png

Extension1.PNG

Extension2.PNG

It looks like what you need to do is take the roof off and construct something better / larger.

I strongly advice against trying to live in the house during such major work. I know someone that tried, and moved out in under a week

What you can do depends largely on what planning will allow.  For most space a full second storey would be what you want.  Is the planners won't allow that consider making it 1 1/2 storey so the upstairs rooms are still partly in the roof.

Below are some pictures of our house that use "gable ends" rather than dormers (think of dormers but without the side cheeks) and this gives standing headroom for almost all of the upstairs floor area while still keeping the planners happy (we would not be allowed 2 full storeys here)

render_10.thumb.jpg.28f9ecabf8686e98e67e16894afc4982.jpg

render_13.thumb.jpg.993d6da96df457b1e6f56472056177f2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi ProDave

Thanks for the reply. 

The only reason we don't want to go down the whole roof off and and rebuild is around 4 years ago we refurbished the whole ground floor, new kitchen, plastering, decorating, carpets etc and don't ant to ruin all that with a whole roof off option. 

Hi Powerjen, I've seen some of there videos on YouTube today after your suggestion, they look exactly like something we need, in terms of turnaround time. Anyone got any suggestions about designs of the extension?  

Met the same  chaps in Surrey lats December.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/8008-modular-loft-installed-in-sections/

I honestly don't see a need to move out, unless for a couple of weeks.

https://moduloft.co.uk/faqs/

Do I need to move out whilst the work is going on?

No. The Moduloft system is designed to create the minimum disruption. We do most of the construction work in the factory so when it arrives at your house we will only take two days to lift the new roof on and connect all the services. In most cases, within two weeks the job will be complete.

We will sort out the new staircase for you too – so you don’t need to worry.

Your issues will be ensuring attention to detail by the contractor, to stop them rushing, and perhaps cost.

Blog entry here and photos of a project in progress.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/blogs/entry/496-what-about-a-modular-loft/

IMG_1439-small.jpg

IMG_1428-small.jpg

IMG_1448-small.jpg

IMG_1438-small.jpg

IMG_1453-small.jpg

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JAY123 said:

Hi Powerjen, I've seen some of there videos on YouTube today after your suggestion, they look exactly like something we need, in terms of turnaround time. Anyone got any suggestions about designs of the extension?  

I would just get in touch with them @JAY123. I had a few emails with one of their design engineer chaps who initially priced up the work based on an architects plan and then I basically said how much we could afford and what could he do for the money. They were very good and will help with the layout for you if need be. I liked that you didn't have to move out and everything is wired in, plastered, etc etc before it arrives and is bolted together very quickly.  Compared to what the QS had quoted for the work I was very surprised how reasonable they were. Seemed very professional too.

Here's something which I always think is the least disruptive approach and in many ways can lead to advantage. Consider additional space as a pavilion extension in the garden, connected with a glazed or partially glazed corridor.

Advantages, well minimal disruption to the existing, especially if you are thinking of roof removal.

Gives you the chance to create something you really want/need...privacy and reduction of noise between rooms

Opportunity for for flexibility as a family changes...granny moves in, kid(s) move back from Uni

Opportunity to create interesting 'spaces in between' garden courtyards, sheltered spots and suntraps...if you're not a gardener, think of the gain!

All the 'design' benefits touched on in my design book...glimpses to other spaces and activities, creation of daylit spots for workspaces, hobby spaces, you name it...what have you always wanted?...an alpine greenhouse...shelter, ventilation and sunlight (sorry getting subjective there)

You can build it or a team can crack on with disruption to the household, and attendant mud!

Must be cheaper...discuss

Increase of value and resale

Get the imagination going...the kids can make flexible card model

• 1 year later...