Blown In Cellulose (Warmcell) Insualtion MATERIAL prices

Patrick

I am just looking for options to get Blown In Cellulose as I already sorted an installer  who is good (very fair prices) but still not really happy with the prices for the Cellulose.

Was wondering if anybody had some experience in buying the Material directly. Had an offer from a UK company for approx,  11GBP/bag  delivered and one from Germany for approx 11EUR/Bag . Bot delivered but from Germnay would be minimum order of 800bags, aka a full lorry. So would stick to the UK company. 

Both are not too bad, but would have expected much better to be honest.

Anybody keen on sharing order process. (Material only)

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I am just looking for options to get Blown In Cellulose as I already sorted an installer  who is good (very fair prices) but still not really happy with the prices for the Cellulose.

Was wondering if anybody had some experience in buying the Material directly. Had an offer from a UK company for approx,  11GBP/bag  delivered and one from Germany for approx 11EUR/Bag . Bot delivered but from Germnay would be minimum order of 800bags, aka a full lorry. So would stick to the UK company. 

Both are not too bad, but would have expected much better to be honest.

Anybody keen on sharing order process. (Material only)

Sorry I can't help but I would be very keen to hear your overall cost per m3 if and when you can work it out. I wanted Cellulose but could only find authorised warmcell installers with a price much higher than I could afford so it sounds like you are on the right track splitting the process.

@bissoejosh yep, had the same problem . Not just with Cellulose but with a lot of materials .

For your cost per m3 , this one helps:

https://www.thermofloc.com/palmCMSv3/_dateimanager/Verdichtungstabelle/Verdichtungstabellen_Thermofloc.pdf

Warmcell gives following ballpark figures

360mm walls @ 63kg/m3 
36deg 360mm roof @ 56kg/m3 

So most of the manufacturers sell on prices per bag (in my example it is between 9.90GBP -11.00 GBP/bag)

Each Bag is approx. 14 KG

This gives a estimated price of  0.71 - 0.79£/kg

Assuming average of 60kg/m3 (for exact calcs, see the table on Thermofloc) the price would be somewhere around

42.60- 47.00£/m3

(which again works out as 12.78-14.10/sqm on a 300mm wall )

below are the Thermal properties of Cellulose (even though German, might be able to understand some bits )

These are figures for a wall without windows and doors, so have to calculate openings into this, obviously.

Installation costs are approx. 14.50GBP-16GBP per m3 (obviously extremely variable and might be much more expensive depending on where you live and how difficult your setup is)

@joe90 PM me

Edited by Patrick
  • Thanks 1

But I am just struggling to accept that the price for chemicaly treated shredded newspapers is approx. 0.71£/kg .

Even when considering shipping(expensive) , this seems nuts.

Recycled Paper cost around  0.03- 0.06£/Kg  .

Thank you, @Patrick

This translates into roughly £20/m2 installed, i.e. £4000 for the 200m2 of walls plus similar sum for a roof. Not cheap but probably OK for the whole house insulation (apart from the slab)? 

Edited by oldkettle

@oldkettle No. Not exactly cheap. But I figured that having several different layers of insulation by different installers would cost even more and cellulose is quite effective in getting in all the corners so don't need to worry that there are cold spots in the wall. Only alternative would have been spray insulation but it is even more expensive and I did not want to take the health risks that might arise in the future (discussed elsewhere). Only way I could see a cheaper insulation for the house was doing it with rock wool or earthwool and I dont  want to do it all myself and wouldn't trust an installer to get it 100% right. It's not that easy to get the mats in every corner to perfection.

The slab needs different insulation. Doesn't work with cellulose.

Edited by Patrick

@Patrick i'm going down the blown cellulose route but could only find man with supply prices. i missed by a month, a cellulose blowing machine on ebay. i'd be interested in splitting a load, problems arise with 'what if a load isn't enough' and then i'd need to find a man with a machine.

16 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

@Patrick i'm going down the blown cellulose route but could only find man with supply prices. i missed by a month, a cellulose blowing machine on ebay. i'd be interested in splitting a load, problems arise with 'what if a load isn't enough' and then i'd need to find a man with a machine.

Sounds like a plan. Where about are you located. Might have a man with a machine for you. Load should easy be enough for anybody on here. Unless you planning to insulate the taj mahal. ?

Edited by Patrick

• 1 year later...
On 11/06/2019 at 15:49, Patrick said:

@Patrick Do you still have contact with this installer. Looking for someone with experience. Thanks