Passive/insulated slab

I used Isoquick. My groundworkers had used the system once before and so it wasn't too much of a stretch for them. 

In theory I don't see why groundworkers without experience of this system couldn't be used as long as they are open to a using a different system and are able/used to working to a high level of accuracy. 

https://www.advancedfoundationtechnologylimited.co.uk/# do supply and install. I did take a look but didn't use them. Not sure how expensive it would work out. 

You could get a monkey to do it if you gave them the correct information and tolerances to work to. 

But just chucking it at your average groundworks knuckle dragging operatives is asking for trouble

they are just not used to doing finished slabs with fine tolerances

its easy enough to do, you will just need to pick them carefully and ensure you are all singing from the same song sheet. 

Thanks all. I'll get supply and install costs from those suppliers noted and see if I can get any recommendations for install for those who do supply only. I've connections to two groundwork 'squads' but they are both used to doing boxes for volume builders or commercial projects so not sure they'd be up to it but they'd be a fair bit cheaper than the labour in the first quote!

1 hour ago, eandg said:

Thanks all. I'll get supply and install costs from those suppliers noted and see if I can get any recommendations for install for those who do supply only. I've connections to two groundwork 'squads' but they are both used to doing boxes for volume builders or commercial projects so not sure they'd be up to it but they'd be a fair bit cheaper than the labour in the first quote!

I've done some digging. For a 100m² slab you are talking in the region of £35m² for insulation forms, delivery and design. For your hardcore, binding, DPM/ tanking, mesh, rebar, concrete & floating, you are talking £75/m², excluding initial groundworks. Remember you'll have less excavation, disposal and concrete costs compared to traditional founds. And you've no need for a secondary screed layer.

(Northern Ireland costs)

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

I've done some digging. For a 100m² slab you are talking in the region of £35m² for insulation forms, delivery and design. For your hardcore, binding, DPM/ tanking, mesh, rebar, concrete & floating, you are talking £75/m², excluding initial groundworks. Remember you'll have less excavation, disposal and concrete costs compared to traditional founds. And you've no need for a secondary screed layer.

(Northern Ireland costs)

Thanks Conor. The first quote I've had works out at about £135/m2 but doesn't include hardcore, binding, DPM/tanking. The insualtion itself is being quoted at £65/m2 for 'passivehaus standard'. Give me a shout with any alternatives who travel, if you can!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandg said:

Thanks Conor. The first quote I've had works out at about £135/m2 but doesn't include hardcore, binding, DPM/tanking. The insualtion itself is being quoted at £65/m2 for 'passivehaus standard'. Give me a shout with any alternatives who travel, if you can!

Speak to Kore. I'm 1.5hrs drive from their factory in Cavan, so transportation costs are minimal. But I have heard they are still competitive in the UK market. From my interactions with them, I'm impressed with their service.

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

Speak to Kore. I'm 1.5hrs drive from their factory in Cavan, so transportation costs are minimal. But I have heard they are still competitive in the UK market. From my interactions with them, I'm impressed with their service.

Will do. Have them and another 3 open on a tab to contact.