Blockwork Wall Cost

Can someone tell me roughly how much a 28 metre long, 900 mm high (above ground) blockwork garden wall should cost using either Solid Dense 7.3N 140mm or 100mm concrete blocks please?

The wall is single skin, no render or coping required.

25.2m^2.

252 x 100mm Blocks @ 85-90p = £226.80 (maybe £252 for 140's)

£1 a block laid £252 Some brickies will want £2 a block (go jump) and some will take less - my brickie was £300 for 400 blocks laid absolutely perfectly!

£478.80

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Carrerahill said:

Call it 28m^2 for ease.

280Blocks @ 85-90p = £252.00

£1 a block laid £280

£532.00 - Some brickies will want £2 a block (go jump) and some will take less - my brickie was £300 for 400 blocks laid absolutely perfectly!

thanks and what about the foundation cost?

I have been quoted £3k by the builder that has done all the other building work for the house but thought it sounded quite expensive.

The wall will be retaining wall, so not sure if that means blocks would need to be laid flat or not

Just now, ultramods said:

I have been quoted £3k by the builder that has done all the other building work for the house but thought it sounded quite expensive.

The wall will be retaining wall, so not sure if that means blocks would need to be laid flat or not

that changes things  alot--whats it holding back 

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

What's it being laid on and what's it for? 

retaining soil so that garden lawn is level with house floor. Laid on clay soil. The main house foundations required 3 courses.

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

What's it being laid on and what's it for? 

He said a garden wall.

Just now, ultramods said:

You said above ground so I assumed you had something.

28m of found for that size of wall - depends, excavator or hand dug - found may cost you £1000.00

2 minutes ago, ultramods said:

That ain't a garden wall!

Back to the drawing board!

Single skin 100mm block - no chance.

The wall would be at the front of the house in this photo, so that the lawn is the same level as the house floor. 

the wall would be at its highest of 800mm to the left of the photo and maybe only 400-500mm to the right hand side.

IMG_20190516_183139.thumb.jpg.75c67d737f2e8bdde549d65e2c3575f6.jpg

Edited by ultramods

7 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Can someone tell me roughly how much a 28 metre long, 900 mm high (above ground) blockwork RETAINING wall should cost using either Solid Dense 7.3N 140mm or 100mm concrete blocks please?

The wall is single skin, no render or coping required.

OK - attempt No. 2!

You will need at a minimum 140mm block with piers every 2-3m - so worst case 252 blocks for basic wall plus about another 120 block for 14 piers so £372 for block - £372 laid ton of sand and 10 cement £80-100.

Found - digging this will be the biggest cost - £1000.00 - £200-500 for a concrete depending on hand mix or trucked in.

I think 3K sounds fair actually. £1500 will be materials. 3-5 days work.

• Thanks 1

Just now, scottishjohn said:

is the ground behind it flat or does it go up at an angle --and what angle?

There would be a hedge planted behind the wall as close to the wall as possible, so it would need to be level

1 hour ago, ultramods said:

The wall would be at the front of the house in this photo, so that the lawn is the same level as the house floor. 

the wall would be at its highest of 800mm to the left of the photo and maybe only 400-500mm to the right hand side.

IMG_20190516_183139.thumb.jpg.75c67d737f2e8bdde549d65e2c3575f6.jpg

Going off the point, but the build is looking good!

• Thanks 1

Cheapest way to do this is concrete Lego blocks. They have capping stones for the top. 

I done the same on a much bigger scale. Don’t need a SE design or foundation at your height if the ground is adequate. 

Digging could be done in a day with a digger n driver (£150).

Edited by K78
  • Thanks 1

or something that looks pretty like  marshalls dry stacking walling --do it yourself  in no time

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/view-croft-stone-garden-walling

the layer above sits behind the lower layer so it locks together 

i have used it ,water drains out through the gaps as well so no worry about a tsunami of mud 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

£1 a block laid £252 Some brickies will want £2 a block (go jump)

You’d get at least 40% more on site,with a continuation of work,fork lift bringing your gear AND a subbie making a cut on top. 

Go jump yourself :))