Help - change of use

Lets

Hello. I posted earlier about acquiring a (smallish - 80K) mortgage on an office to convert into a residential home. I *think* I have now resolved this (although don't want to assume anything until the paperwork gets signed!!). However, I'm now really stuck and I am trying to work out the following:

1. How do I find out the category of a business site? I *think* its a B1 (office) and so do the people selling to me, but none of us are sure (their dad died, it used to be his business premises).

2. Therefore, if I want to convert it from a B1 to a C1 do I have to apply to planning? Or do I do something else? I've tried to speak to planning but they never seem to answer the phone!

Its all a bit confusing as the information hasn't come through to those selling yet (friend of a friend gave me the heads up about the site, I was showed around, building friend came with me, I offered and it was agreed) but details are still to come through. I am trying to action these things so that the sale can go through as fast as possible - I suspect if anyone else locally found out this was selling they'd be on it quite quickly and I would lose the opportunity (I know from a lot of experience that developers can afford much more than I can!). I'm not a developer and really do have no idea what I'm doing so sorry for asking very basic questions!

You'll definitely need to know what category it is currently, so press on with finding that out.

Next step will depend on that category - some changes of use are allowed under Permitted Development Rights, but always check with the LPA, don't take anyone else's word. So keep on with those phone calls ?

And, irrespective of the current category, if you're going to make physical changes to the property, it is almost certain you will need a planning application anyway.

Good luck

You'll definitely need change of use from whatever category it  to residential. It might not be straightforward, I think sometimes non viability of the business has to be shown, so it would be worth speaking to a planning officer (get the name) of the appropriate council (which you may have to pay for). I believe you might be liable for business rates (unless it's exempt?) until it changed, but I'm not certain. It might be worth engaging a planning consultant.

Good luck

Hmmm.

What do you actually want to do? You say C1, but also ‘residential’.

C1 is Hotel/ Guesthouse not a dwelling, which is C3. If you mean a residential institution such as an old people’s home then that is C2. There are 3 different versions of C3, and also Sui Generis (= of itself or none of the above) for larger HMOs.

Clarification needed. Given this is Buildhub, I think you probably mean a single family dwelling house, which is C3(a).

On your qs:

1 The Local Authority is the right place to look, but Probably ask for Business Rates, not Planning.

2 You can also obtain more information by putting the premises address into  the link provided by

@Mr Punter, which is the VOA who look after the Bus Rates database.

The most useful bits of info will perhaps be the Description, which will give you a clue as to what they think it is, and the Local Authority Reference, which should be a key to the LA database and help you talk to them about the correct building. Though always cross-check with a  second factor eg please read back the address.

There is a lot more info there if you dig a little.

I believe that B1 to C3 is permitted development, subject to other restrictions. So once you have your info send an enquiry to the general Planning Email address and phone again. There is a gym near us who believed their Agent, and have now discovered it is B1 and they are operating unlawfully.

You DO need to get this right, or you could be in deep schtuck..

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/9/change_of_use/2

Office to Residential 

Temporary permitted development rights currently apply in respect of the change of use of premises from a B1(a) office use to C3 residential use. This is subject to Prior Approval being sought in respect of flooding, contamination, highways and transport issues and impacts of noise from commercial premises on the intended occupiers of the development. Development must be completed within three years starting with the prior approval date (See GPDO Schedule 2, Part 3, Class O and SI 332 amendments in relation to change of use of offices to dwellinghouses).

Also..
Light industrial to dwellinghouses

This change of use is set out in Class PA, introduced by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) Order 2016.

It allows a change of use from B1(c) (light industrial) to C3 (dwellinghouses) subject to limitations and conditions including the prior approval of the local planning authority in respect of certain matters.

It is only applicable to applications received on or after 1 October 2017, for which prior approval is granted before 1 October 2020. Development must then be completed within 3 years of the prior approval date.

I believe this might be permanent now.

Edited by Temp