Skirting help / advice needed

Weebles

Skirting seemed so simple until I started looking into it.  All help appreciated please.

We were thinking of some pre-primed MDF skirting (like the image of the sample just received) which we could then paint (gloss / eggshell) and fit ourselves.  Any thoughts on that plan?

And for fitting, would you glue to the wall?  If so, with what?  A "No More Nails" type glue?

And what would you do about the slight gap at the top (where it joins the wall) and the bit at the bottom (where it sits on the tiles / wood floor)?

Lastly, upstairs we are having carpet which we need to fit after the skirting apparently.  Would you fit the skirting slightly off the current floor level to try to get the same skirting depth look throughout?

Thanks

VxivGt_X2o2WuOQii1mgKvHfmjdcL8jtE_gZQLjclAwT1IuX3P4GdIwVclyKvnyQb4jwsTEpGNxnomEbHz_Im9wGHl6tPC8UfzzH-c6Q9eKyP6eqFqL2n1ymEXdmc-hO_3YxrNrRI2pbhTVKybiE5A8_sujWEkSG6s-1IcIcju5Njs0-ys6OXfZPqfeXctZpCk2RQyEnNYC5Y5-f3gCOS2JFIS3yyTUr0tU70oYMIpvvEwzyC2GGmqHrZrZpjUg278VANrlccRw_EmbhDn6jhiFV1Uma-nmbvLsnD-P0IWh48H9aUhTkmWc7SGU-Kvpj5Ar7ni79tVm0VpDRO9hF3i83H92mBkffcKW8SBXK7Cl3NqcWt7-xktHKluxfD4fBVTBqXYH-DIkfkTCftxtuM7W50jcaszMGmNgoFd5XUS-fxFFSl69poR2Fr9dRlNRsYcC_9xIO5QUUBPGGk8qGXGMmi1T8VmfE85_zOl1fVmnAkU-7afWMFz8H93Liz9K6OrLS1ukwzRdA5bYGZ3TwWLan1RW5-k5KaR4rRWCP86A6D1AofuI4D9iHywE7Zf6pL8V1H5CfvOifUSy2Hat5UImqVuOCE4VvkdTXtbsiRLXeFaFjnsWTwvoZDH-rtKyITwDXj2TJ0zURGsQE9-0-8QoS6FnpawWv=w666-h888-no

Why is the skirting not touching the wall?  Rough bottom edge of plaster? I would be scraping that off flat.

I am probably in the minority that I would fit carpet first and then skirting. Any future carper will be easier to fit as it has a gap to tuck under.

Depending how much of a gap then decorators caulk.

Otherwise make up a sanding block the height of the skirting and take the plaster down some. Still might need a bead of caulk.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why is the skirting not touching the wall?  Rough bottom edge of plaster? I would be scraping that off flat.

The plaster may be pushing it out a little.  So you would expect it to touch the wall, cleanly?  Good to know :)

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am probably in the minority that I would fit carpet first and then skirting. Any future carper will be easier to fit as it has a gap to tuck under.

I asked our carpet people and they were the ones that said to put skirting up first.  I had thought like you that the gap would be helpful, assuming there is a gap.  They said that the carpet gripper rods would just be fitted in front of the skirting.  I will double check with them though.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Otherwise make up a sanding block the height of the skirting and take the plaster down some. Still might need a bead of caulk.

Would you caulk at the same time as glue-ing, i.e. apply caulk to the top edge and then wipe off any excess that squeezes out?  Or caulk after?

32 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Would you caulk at the same time as glue-ing, i.e. apply caulk to the top edge and then wipe off any excess that squeezes out?  Or caulk after?

Caulk after. The "glue", no nails whatever, dries super quick anyway.

As above; scrape off the plaster 'snots'  so it fits as closely to the wall as possible. I used No nails, and a 40mm oval nail into each stud for good measure (looks like you have a stud wall from your image). Fix one day, caulk the next - run a fine bead down any gaps between the top of the skirting and the wall and remove excess with a damp sponge. Do what you can to avoid any big gaps, but if you have any, you might have to caulk in two goes.  Gaps at the bottom should be negligible, but you might have to scribe the skirting if you've got an occasional uneven tile.