Slate roof advice please ...

Hi 

Any thoughts or comments about how the tiles here have been laid in the image below. I have seen many images and demo videos about laying a slate roof and none off them look like this with the slates having gaps between them, as opposed to being flat on one another right from the start/eaves course. It looks to me as if the outer brick skin is one course too high and that to compensate, the slates are laid with gradually changes pitch? Also as it will be a cold roof, I don't see how it can ventilate if the eaves tiles sit flush to the brick.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mark

IMG_20190604_164951002_HDR.jpg

Looks fine to me - that edge lift is done to stop water rushing off the roof and overtopping the gutters. 

There are plenty of gaps for air to get through with slates - having a continuous air space top and bottom is belt and braces. 

OK many thanks @PeterW

So it's ok to have lift on the courses above as well, with the slates only being supported at the top and bottom edges, but not in the middle?

Mark

Edited by shedMusic
additional question ..

The overlap of the slates looks good.

I prefer to lay them flatter (not just touching top and bottom) but not sure this is essential, you would need to check. 

‘It looks like you have used galvanised nails....... I would ONLY use copper

what membrane is it and is it being used in the right way,  is it on Sarking ? Is it designed not to have cross battens ? 

‘It does not look like the bottom row of slates has a continuous double row under it ? 

How are the gutters going to be fixed.

some more photos would be helpful from the front and of the last row.

personally it looks a bit dubious but without more detailed photos I can’t tell.  

If this had been counter battened it would have reduced the kick at the bottom. Unless they have used extra long nails it may be that those on the lower course of full slates will not have enough embedment. Also the membrane looks like it will not direct water off as it goes level / up at  the end.

Hi @CPD

I didn't lay them .. builders/contract roofers. 

Yes I had concerns about the nails too but it was all done by the time I got home at the end of the day. It's not on sarking just the membrane under the lathes. I assume it's the correct stuff!? Gutters on metal hangers into the brick ... but there's not much roon?!

My gut feel is it's dubious too ... hence why I am asking for comments.

Many thanks

Mark

in scotland where the roof has sarking the bellcast or edge lift to slow the water is constructed using tilting fillets (ripped triangular timber) nailed to rafters the boarded over. this allows the slates to lay flat, usually the first course is laid horizontally.

looking at the pic, the first course nails look to be left proud to support the next course which seems a good idea, however i wouldn't want anyone walking up the roof with all those unsupported slates.

Ideally they should have doubled the bottom batten to take up some of the gap. Now you have an issue of what to do on the verge detail. You could muck it in but Imo it will look out of place as it will only be on the bottom 2 slates. 

I wouldn't worry too much as it looks like it will keep the water out, but it could have been done better. 

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes my concern is someone later working on the roof.  The point loading of say a roof ladder on the bottom couple or rows would likely break some slates.

Any roofer that knows what they are doing would not fully extend the roof ladder past the bellcast.

7 minutes ago, makie said:

Any roofer that knows what they are doing would not fully extend the roof ladder past the bellcast.

Most roofers I see have a fixed length roof ladder that often extends beyond the bottom of the roof.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most roofers I see have a fixed length roof ladder that often extends beyond the bottom of the roof.

If they don't have more than one roof ladder or one that can be extended they probably aren't that good of a roofer.

35 minutes ago, makie said:

My concern is not just the bell .. there is a lift on at least the first 5 rows.

Mark

1 minute ago, shedMusic said:

My concern is not just the bell .. there is a lift on at least the first 5 rows.

Mark

It shouldn't cause you a huge problem, bring your concerns up to the roofer and they should explain everything to you.

For the ventilation issue you need to install slate vents as close to the eave as possible.

28 minutes ago, makie said:

For the ventilation issue you need to install slate vents as close to the eave as possible

Im not so sure about that one. I assume you mean rip out a slate and install a vent between each rafter?  If so I'm still sceptical as if that was Intended they should already be there. 

As for ventilation I wouldn't worry that much. Between the gaps in the slates, the breathable membrane and also assuming the didn't tape/ seal the laps it should be fine. 

As for roofing ladders. Most people carry a softening bag (old sofa cushion) to bring the bottom of the ladder away from the eaves. I have also seen people use a bearer (bit of batten) to spread the weight but I prefer the cushion. 

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

Im not so sure about that one. I assume you mean rip out a slate and install a vent between each rafter?  If so I'm still sceptical as if that was Intended they should already be there. 

As for ventilation I wouldn't worry that much. Between the gaps in the slates, the breathable membrane and also assuming the didn't tape/ seal the laps it should be fine. 

As for roofing ladders. Most people carry a softening bag (old sofa cushion) to bring the bottom of the ladder away from the verge. I have also seen people use a bearer (bit of batten) to spread the weight but I prefer the cushion. 

The ventilation issue should have been sorted before hand. Being a roofer myself I see this issue a fair amount.

It will need vents installed to be properly ventilated.

Roofers should have multiple roof ladders to deal with different situations.