6 minutes ago, newhome said:

The rules are quite complex in that area it seems so I don't hope to understand all rules around 'built for a business purpose' or 'property not separately disposable' or 'can only be occupied by someone working for XX business'. It's interesting understanding the different scenarios though as it helps us give better advice (albeit unofficial advice) when a claim is a bit more unsual. What letter have you had? The one that says 'claim received' or the one that says they've assessed your claim and confirm it to be eligible and are now working on the detailed invoices? 

It says, it has been received, no outstanding issues at the moment, we aim to process your claim within 6 weeks, and payment in 20 working days 

1 minute ago, Samhelliwell said:

It says, it has been received, no outstanding issues at the moment, we aim to process your claim within 6 weeks, and payment in 20 working days 

That generally means that the claim has passed the criteria then. Well done! The processing takes weeks but on the bright side the money only takes about a week to come through afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

That generally means that the claim has passed the criteria then. Well done! The processing takes weeks but on the bright side the money only takes about a week to come through afterwards. 

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. 

Just now, Samhelliwell said:

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. 

You've hit enough posts to see the VAT subforum now :). Have a scout round there to see what people have said about lead times. I'm sure someone said that their claim came though much more quickly that most people seem to be experiencing. Recent focus has been on HMRC refusing claims for apparently not sending the claim early enough even though it was within 3 months of the completion certificate but they've lost their first case at Tribunal so that may ease a bit hopefully. I'm sure they get bonuses triggered by the number of claims they can refuse ;)

4 hours ago, Samhelliwell said:

Is CIL governed by the local authority rather than central government? 

Mostly by the LA it seems but some appeals go to central government and the CIL process (or 'tool' as they call it) is set centrally. That said there doesn't seem to be scenario where you can claim if the LA reverses the Self Build exemption after the house is built (unless you can call that a 'surcharge' but I thought that a surcharge was where they had added additional costs). 

Types of CIL appeal

The appeals are here.

CIL Appeals

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

My first real post, please be gentle ?

@nod

@newhome

Did anyone reach a conclusion regarding what is sufficient for 'Deeds' on the CIL exemption form 7 part 2? Was the Land Registry 'Official Copy of Register of Title' sufficient (bearing in mind that this will usually be for a plot of land, rather than a fully build house)?

Given that I have found myself woefully unprepared for the amount of work involved getting the VAT reclaim sorted I want to get to get ahead on this one (as it amounts to over £28,000, and we have already had to pay out £13,500 S106). ?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Bodgerbedge said:

My first real post, please be gentle ?

@nod

@newhome

Did anyone reach a conclusion regarding what is sufficient for 'Deeds' on the CIL exemption form 7 part 2? Was the Land Registry 'Official Copy of Register of Title' sufficient (bearing in mind that this will usually be for a plot of land, rather than a fully build house)?

Given that I have found myself woefully unprepared for the amount of work involved getting the VAT reclaim sorted I want to get to get ahead on this one (as it amounts to over £28,000, and we have already had to pay out £13,500 S106). ?

Many thanks

Yes it was sufficient 

We also sent planning app

Commencement notice 

Cil agreement 

New house registered address 

Anything that had our name on it related to the plot 

We also wrote a letter showing timeline from purchase to vat claim and explaining that we had done most of the work ourselves while holding down full time jobs 

To help explain long delays between some purchases 

Its difficult to know what was required But we had a letter shortly after telling us that it would be around 8 weeks 

4 weeks later    £29364  Appeared in our account 

Exactly what Em we had claimed