This is my first post, so thank you for reading. I've applied for CIL, I haven't been told that I've done anything wrong so far. We didn't have a self build mortgage, or a self build warranty, so my evidence will be the self build vat return, which I have acknowledgement of, but not yet confirmed. Has anyone else used only this? 

I have until october for the CIL, and the HMRC say 6 weeks from now, but longer at peak times. Has anyone had them take much longer than this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome ..!

Assuming you have a copy of the VAT claim form, I would submit the front page with the project details and then the acknowledgement along with a note saying it can take up to x weeks for payment. 

This shows that you have completed and done as requested - if they want proof of the approved claim and it’s outside the 6 months due to HMRC having issues then you have much better ground for appeal that you had taken reasonable steps. 

Thank you Peter, I have emailed them the acknowledgment and I've asked them to email me to state what I intend to do. The lady on the phone just worried me a bit, I don't think she realises how much money they're dealing with! I will send a hard copy by recorded post, as you say with a side note ?

I’m assuming your not in England 

When we applied for our Cil agreement We simply sent in our planning application number prior to starting It took about a week to come back to us 

We where told not to start till it had been agreed 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I’m assuming your not in England 

When we applied for our Cil agreement We simply sent in our planning application number prior to starting It took about a week to come back to us 

We where told not to start till it had been agreed 

@nod this is the end process ..!!!! You have to submit another form within 6 months at the end of the build or have to pay the lot...!!

Thank you Peter 

Id no idea Of this 

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up previously

Especially when we have been talking about build warrantees As one of the questions asks  for your SB warrantee details

Our Architect dealt with the cil as part of building material ap 

He never mentioned part two

I wonder how many have fallen foul of this   

4 minutes ago, nod said:

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up previously

It’s been discussed here previously. 

You have a warranty though @nod so can just use that (see there was a good reason for one after all ?). Get it all done as soon as you get the warranty certificate then that’s a big box ticked. 

Just looked at the form 

I’m correct in that proof of vat claim OR build  warranty is required 

It also asks for copy of deeds 

Is this back to the solicitor to get these drawn up

Big thank you to Peter W for pointing this out 

1 hour ago, Samhelliwell said:

I have until october for the CIL, and the HMRC say 6 weeks from now, but longer at peak times. Has anyone had them take much longer than this? 

My VAT claim took 20 weeks end to end last year. A week can be taken off that timeline as that was when I received the ‘approved’ letter. I had no CIL so wasn’t an issue for me (other than being long ...). It’s annoying because they have an SLA that they breach constantly without even letting you know how much longer they will be. In addition to @PeterW‘s advice I would also write to HMRC explaining the deadline you have. You can’t be the only person in this position surely?

They do seem to vary. People who sent their claims just after me had their approval letters in about the same time or much less. No rhyme nor reason apparently. 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

My VAT claim took 20 weeks end to end last year. A week can be taken off that timeline as that was when I received the ‘approved’ letter. I had no CIL so wasn’t an issue for me (other than being long ...). It’s annoying because they have an SLA that they breach constantly without even letting you know how much longer they will be. In addition to @PeterW‘s advice I would also write to HMRC explaining the deadline you have. You can’t be the only person in this position surely?

They do seem to vary. People who sent their claims just after me had their approval letters in about the same time or much less. No rhyme nor reason apparently. 

Thank you, yes a friend mentioned five months for his, but I didn't know if his agent had slowed it down.  I will send hmrc a letter, as you say, I can't be the only one. I'm hesitant to get the new build insurance, just to prove that it's a self build, when hmrc has acknowledged that I'm self build. 

@Samhelliwell there is a thread on the VAT sub forum here that has some waiting times (and there are other threads discussing the topic too) but you won’t be able to see the sub forum until you’ve made 10 posts. 

Post an intro telling us what you’ve built and that will get you post count up. We’re all dead nosey about other people’s builds anyway ?

4 hours ago, Samhelliwell said:

Thank you, yes a friend mentioned five months for his, but I didn't know if his agent had slowed it down.  I will send hmrc a letter, as you say, I can't be the only one. I'm hesitant to get the new build insurance, just to prove that it's a self build, when hmrc has acknowledged that I'm self build. 

It’s beyond ridiculous that the CIL process links into an HMRC process with no commitment to an SLA in my view but there you have it. A retrospective warranty will cost quite a lot so worth avoiding! 

1 minute ago, Samhelliwell said:

We where drawn into purchasing a warrantee In my opinion a total waste of money if your not thinking of selling in the next ten years

and then you can purchase retrospectively  

6 minutes ago, nod said:

What about deeds 

Do I need to get deeds drawn up ASAP 

Not sure about deeds. Won’t that just be the document the Land Registry holds? 

9 minutes ago, nod said:

I’m hoping so

Thanks

I never got anything else when my house was finished. Maybe I should have. Hopefully someone will come along and let us know ?

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

It’s beyond ridiculous that the CIL process links into an HMRC process with no commitment to and SLA in my view but there you have it. A retrospective warranty will cost quite a lot so worth avoiding! 

I'll get my solicitor involved before it comes to that. Is CIL governed by the local authority rather than central government? 

20 minutes ago, newhome said:

@Samhelliwell there is a thread on the VAT sub forum here that has some waiting times (and there are other threads discussing the topic too) but you won’t be able to see the sub forum until you’ve made 10 posts. 

Post an intro telling us what you’ve built and that will get you post count up. We’re all dead nosey about other people’s builds anyway ?

Do I put an intro here? 

Anyway, we built an agricultural tied dwelling, we started properly in feb 2018, Been in a couple of months now. It was a greenfield site when we bought it, one application was refused, then got it on the 2nd ? 

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, Samhelliwell said:

Anyway, we built an agricultural tied dwelling, we started properly in feb 2018, Been in a couple of months now. 

Looks lovely. Have HMRC approved your claim yet? I know there are rules about self builds being tied to business use. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Looks lovely. Have HMRC approved your claim yet? I know there are rules about self builds being tied to business use. 

They've replied that they are working on the claim, and all seems to be in order.  It is agricultural, but built for ourselves from personal funds, we haven't claimed the vat back on a business throughout the build, all left til the end. 

1 hour ago, Samhelliwell said:

They've replied that they are working on the claim, and all seems to be in order.  It is agricultural, but built for ourselves from personal funds, we haven't claimed the vat back on a business throughout the build, all left til the end. 

The rules are quite complex in that area it seems so I don't hope to understand all rules around 'built for a business purpose' or 'property not separately disposable' or 'can only be occupied by someone working for XX business'. It's interesting understanding the different scenarios though as it helps us give better advice (albeit unofficial advice) when a claim is a bit more unsual. What letter have you had? The one that says 'claim received' or the one that says they've assessed your claim and confirm it to be eligible and are now working on the detailed invoices?