Build type

Big Jimbo

I am still reading lots of not nice things on the internet about non standard construction. My house design has a flat roof to house solar panels, and about 3/4 of it will be a green roof. I wanted to build the walls from wood i-beams, and clad the outside with a product that is 97% re-cycled, 60%wood, and 37% plastic. I am also considering an eps passive foundation system...... From what i am reading, i am starting to wonder if i will ever be able to insure it or ever sell it without giving it away. I know a lot of people on here have done some form of non standard construction... How have you got on ? starting to think it might be easier to just go block and block, and clad the outside. What are your thoughts ?

Mine is passive slab, TF, larch and render clad, flattish roof with single ply membrane cover.  No solar as planning did not allow. Technically non standard construction but our insurers did not have a problem with cover.

The I beam walls should not be a issue as it is just considered timber frame.

I would not be convinced that a wood / plastic mix for cladding is great and you may find a cement based product, natural slate or clay tile to be more widely accepted and a lower fire risk.

Why the green roof?  If it is not a planning requirement then a pitched tiled roof is safest.

37 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Mine is passive slab, TF, larch and render clad, flattish roof with single ply membrane cover.  No solar as planning did not allow. Technically non standard construction but our insurers did not have a problem with cover.

You forgot to mention.....and very bloody nice.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The I beam walls should not be a issue as it is just considered timber frame.

I would not be convinced that a wood / plastic mix for cladding is great and you may find a cement based product, natural slate or clay tile to be more widely accepted and a lower fire risk.

Why the green roof?  If it is not a planning requirement then a pitched tiled roof is safest.

Without a brick or block outer skin it is considered an issue.

The grren roof was basically because i have a height restriction, so thought i might as well chuck a bit of sedum up there.

The moment you move away from standard "brick and tile" you have limited the insurance choices. Still available, but less choice.

I would expect the same logic is going to apply to selling it (though I have no experience) - less people might be interested if it is too different from the norm, but my belief is that a well-built house will attract buyers.

The other factor to consider is mortgages, I have only tried one company with our timber-frame / zinc roof / ICF basement / render / wood cladding and they did not bat an eyelid.

Our build is all-timber, timber frame clad with larch.  We had no problem with insurance, every company I asked to quote did so without a murmur.  The premium we ended up paying is lower than that for our smaller brick and block bungalow, for some odd reason.

• 1 month later...

Check with major lenders if it is acceptable. 

Halifax used to borrow against local authority, steel frame/corrugated clad houses when other lenders would not. 

I’ve been thinking the same about non standard construction myself and am leaning  towards building with cavity walls and cladding the outside.Something I really didn’t want to do originally. Solid wall and EWI just up the construction cost, as many brickies like building what they are used to. 

It’s hard enough selling a house at the moment without limiting buyers too. 

Edited by K78
  • Like 1