Landing window regulations

Roz

Hello! SO I have looked for an answer but think I might be typing in the wrong search terms

I understand an escape window has to be between 800mm and 1100mm from the floor. I presume a landing window isn't an escape window.

At the moment our landing window, which is almost in front of the stairwell, is roughly 79cm from the floor. I suppose with sill height the actual opening section might be a bit more... is this likely to be OK?

33 minutes ago, Roz said:

Hello! SO I have looked for an answer but think I might be typing in the wrong search terms

I understand an escape window has to be between 800mm and 1100mm from the floor. I presume a landing window isn't an escape window.

At the moment our landing window, which is almost in front of the stairwell, is roughly 79cm from the floor. I suppose with sill height the actual opening section might be a bit more... is this likely to be OK?

So I take it you have been told the landing windows needs to be a means of escape, if not, then as it is not a habitable room does it need to be? 

If the glazing is over 800mm it need not be toughened, as for escape route, if this is a proposed escape route on a plan as approved or requested by BC then yes it needs to be between 800 and 1100mm above F.F.L - if your rough opening is 790mm then you are going to be more like 850mm by the time you finish with the sill and the frame of the window. If there was any doubt at all, I would simply raise the whole lot 10mm then start and order a window 10mm shorter than originally planned. I would very much doubt BC are going to measure it if it looks right. 

Is this a new build?

Does the landing window open onto a roof? If so then the regs are 600-1100mm.

Edited by Carrerahill

42 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

So I take it you have been told the landing windows needs to be a means of escape, if not, then as it is not a habitable room does it need to be? 

If the glazing is over 800mm it need not be toughened, as for escape route, if this is a proposed escape route on a plan as approved or requested by BC then yes it needs to be between 800 and 1100mm above F.F.L - if your rough opening is 790mm then you are going to be more like 850mm by the time you finish with the sill and the frame of the window. If there was any doubt at all, I would simply raise the whole lot 10mm then start and order a window 10mm shorter than originally planned. I would very much doubt BC are going to measure it if it looks right. 

Is this a new build?

Does the landing window open onto a roof? If so then the regs are 600-1100mm.

It hasn't been designated as a means of escape AFAIK, but I wondered if the same minimum height might apply. 

I suppose it might end up as more than 800 with the sill etc, so perhaps we will be OK without needing to toughen it. Although the height to the floor was actually measured to the top of the beam, so with the thickness of chipboard and our finished floor, we might be cutting it close.

It's a barn conversion but no it doesn't open onto a roof.